Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone have plans on building a wood hard top stand?
want to take off but don't want to sit it on the ground

·
Registered
80 Posts
I found a design I'm going to be building myself, likely this weekend. It's on another forum so I don't know that I can post the URL here. However, if you do a Google Search for "Jeep Hard Top Stand" it comes up on the first page for me. The title of the post is "DIY Hardtop Cart".

Basically just building a supersized furniture dolly and adding some block cribbing to one side to support the rear window slope. Several replies on there state that it worked really well. Only one person reported damage after it slipped slightly and cracked a hinge.

If you don't see it, PM me I'll try and square you away.

TacX

·
Registered
61 Posts
I built one just like this one over the weekend. Took me about 20 minutes. Bought two furniture dollys and two 2 X 4's from Home Depot and a box of 2" wood screws and a furniture moving blanket for a little scuff protection. Couldn't have been easier.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just took mine off and laid it on top of styrofoam. Doesnt have the convenience of moving it around but i just put it in the corner til winter comes around. Its held up great.

·
Registered
846 Posts
You can easily build one of these:

And most of the info is here:
DIY Hardtop Cart (Yes, YOU CAN build it!)

Here's the rest of the info you'll need:

This design takes 2 pieces of 2" x 4" x 8' and 1 piece of 1" x 3" x 59"

Here's the "cut list"...
1 piece @ 59" long + 1 piece 30" long + 1 piece 6" long = one 2' x 4' x 8'
1 piece @ 59" long + 1 piece 30" long + 1 piece 6" long = one 2' x 4' x 8'
1 piece @ 59" long of 1" x 3"

Note: I used a third 30" piece in the middle to make sure the 1" x 3" is supported and won't sag.

You'll need screws for the casters (1-1/2 or less" since a 2x4 is 1-1/2") typically 4 per caster = 16 screws (20 if you use these 1-1/2" screws for the 1x3).
You'll need screws to assemble the 2x4's typically 2 per corner (I suggest 2-1/2" long) = 8 screws (12 if you use a 3rd piece of 2x4 in the middle).
You'll need screws to assemble the 1" x 3" (you can use some 1-1/2" screws just add them to the above quantity of 16) = 4 screws.

You'll also need padding of some kind. I bought an anti-fatigue mat at Home Depot for $10 and cut it easily with a razor knife. It was easy to cut and bonus, the mat has lines running the length of it so I just followed them when razor knifing.

You'll need a staple gun and staples.
And you'll need a drill - pre-drilling the holes makes screwing much easier and you won't split the 1x3.
You'll want to have a second drill to drive in the screws.

It should take you about an hour to get the items at Home Depot and another hour or so to make the whole cart.

Have fun and good luck! :winner:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts