Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 06 wrangler rubicon with a hard top and am about to take it off for the summer.. I've seen the hard top storage racks that have your top resting on ifs back hatch area and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these .. I am worried it will damage my top. Any ideas on a space saving hard top storage ?

·
Registered
321 Posts
I store mine on a cart like that. I used 2 furniture dollies from Harbor Freight and a few 2x4s with some padding. It's actually very stable and easy to move if needed. Had it that way for several years. You can google wrangler hardtop storage and look at the images for ideas. Another had his agaist the wall with two large J hooks with 2x4s on it. He then tipped the top forward so that the top is flat against the wall with the back window facing up. It rested on the padded 2x4s on the door opening. It looked really stable and the top was out of the way.

My hard top dilemma is now that I have moved to a new home, I have to re-design my hoist to get it off the jeep (as in a 1 man job)..

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
i built a rack like that. the top rests on the hinges to protect the wiper and paint on the plastic top.
I roll it around my garage on dolly wheels that I installed.
Search the forum, you will find plans to make one, easy to do with 2x4's or what ever scrap lumber you may have around.

·
Registered
945 Posts
i built a rack like that. the top rests on the hinges to protect the wiper and paint on the plastic top.
I roll it around my garage on dolly wheels that I installed.
Search the forum, you will find plans to make one, easy to do with 2x4's or what ever scrap lumber you may have around.
Here's my HT garage storage solution. Hoist mnted on attic rafters from HF - cable is doubled.

ForumRunner_20160307_085732.jpg

ForumRunner_20160307_085747.jpg

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Mine is similar to Water Dogs.
Where mine rests on the hinges, I used a piece of clam shell wall trim. Perfect angle.
I use an nylon strap to hold it onto the dolly.
Another neat trick I do with mine, I have a old wooden 3/4" diameter closet dowel that I lay the window crotch, then take a pant hanger, you know the ones with the spring clips, it is strong enough to hold the soft top side windows and hang them there, the rear window I drape over them by the bar.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I use two scrap pieces of 4X4's and place my top on them and leave it outside in the yard. I know it's not what you are wanting by placing it on its back glass, but your post was asking for space saving ideas. Just a thought.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
All of these solutions are fine I suppose if you have a pole barn to store your toys on the floor in! Wtf!?
I used to store mine outside on the cart with a tarp over it before I got a larger shop...sometimes you have to work with what you have.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I put mine in the back yard in the same direction it would be on the jeep. I put a hunk of wood under the four corners and call it good. No tarp, no cart. Just some space. I thought about using a tarp but then I figured the thing is out in the weather all the time. My luck, the moisture under the tarp coming up from the ground would do more harm then the tarp does good.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I setup a stand for my hard top over the weekend. I did not want to mount it on the ceiling or leave it on the floor, and need as much storage as I can in the garage. See pics for my solution.

I had an extra metal storage rack in the garage. I made a frame with 2x4s on casters. Putting 2 2x4s across a shelf I was able to rest the hard top on the wood.

Easy setup, secure, and no loss in storage space.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Let's see if third time is a charm. I am sorry for all the post, but hope this helps.

The cart worked before as we were easily able to maneuver tight against the cabinet and not lose any wall space for storage. I forgot to mention I took my router and cut a 1/4" notch for the feet of the shelf to go into. Secure with some metal strips and you're set.

Only items I had to buy were the casters, I had all the other pieces available.

Wrangler Hard Top Storage 1.JPG

Wrangler Hard Top Storage 2.JPG

Wrangler Hard Top Storage 3.JPG

·
Jeeper
5,096 Posts
Freat idea info4tim.Im in the process of making a hoist like yours.I like the idea with the strap supporting the bottom .

·
Registered
650 Posts
Not a cart, but simple install. Quadratec hoist. I put 2x4s across the bottom and store light stuff in it.

image-3417466400.jpg

·
Registered
183 Posts
Took my hard top off today. If I get a cart to put it on will I brake the back glass when I stand it up? I'm thinking of making one or maybe buying the Bestop cart.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
^^^ It should not break the glass. Make sure it rests on the hinges.
Keeping the window closed while standing it up requires an extra set of hands or some other way of keeping it closed.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Took my hard top off today. If I get a cart to put it on will I brake the back glass when I stand it up? I'm thinking of making one or maybe buying the Bestop cart.
Very easy to make. There's a material list and instructions in post #5.

·
Registered
288 Posts
They're easy to mount to the wall also.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts