Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week some low-life peeled up the side curtains on my soft top and stole a camera, a couple of lenses, a tripod, a couple of jackets and a framed photograph I was delivering as a gift. Needless to say, this made me really nervous about my soft top and I've started looking into replacing it with an OEM Freedom Top. Before I give the dealer $3500.00 I thought I would check with the Forum for recommendations for other hard top possibilities. ANy suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

BTW I own a 2014 Wrangler JK Sport.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Check Craigslist, local Jeep sites...people selling them all the time. I even traded my soft top and $200 for a new hardtop on my 2011. Just have to be patient...or spend $3500 at the dealer!:jawdrop:

·
Registered
625 Posts
Here in DFW, used freedom hardtops can be found on CL for around $1200. There's also a Jeep conversion shop that sells them for $1900 and some are virtually new.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Trip1900

Not sure where you are located but in the Indianapolis area on Craigslist, there are a few freedom tops for sale. They average about 1300-1500. I'd check craigslist like the other posters have said.

·
Registered
546 Posts
craigslist..I sold my soft top for 700. on cl and bought a ht off of an 2011 for 1k...the deals are out there
Cameron

·
ExtremeTerrain.com Sponsoring Vendor
6,005 Posts
Last week some low-life peeled up the side curtains on my soft top and stole a camera, a couple of lenses, a tripod, a couple of jackets and a framed photograph I was delivering as a gift. Needless to say, this made me really nervous about my soft top and I've started looking into replacing it with an OEM Freedom Top. Before I give the dealer $3500.00 I thought I would check with the Forum for recommendations for other hard top possibilities. ANy suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

BTW I own a 2014 Wrangler JK Sport.

Thanks again!
Sorry to hear about that! The hard top should make you more secure. We have a few Hard Tops available on the site, but the best bet might be finding a used one on Craigslist. Good Luck!

-Ryan

·
Registered
470 Posts
Hate to say it, but nothings going to stop a thief if they want in. with that much gear you most likely could see it through a window. Even with a hard top they can pop the glass.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Hate to say it, but nothings going to stop a thief if they want in. with that much gear you most likely could see it through a window. Even with a hard top they can pop the glass.
Agree to a point. It is much harder to gain entry in a hard top, so if he is not a hard core criminal intent on breaking into your Jeep, he probably will move on to another easier target. Let's face it, soft top is an easy target.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
You would be better served with a security trunk like the tuffy. If that equipment had been in a hard too instead, you would be sweeping up glass. Nothing is safe left in a car/jeep, that hardtop is not impenetrable. At least the security trunk makes you lock stuff out of sight and it still allows you to drive topless.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Agree to a point. It is much harder to gain entry in a hard top, so if he is not a hard core criminal intent on breaking into your Jeep, he probably will move on to another easier target. Let's face it, soft top is an easy target.
now I would agree except camera equipment is expensive and easy to sell. That stuff wasn't safe anyways. So sure if someone is looking for loose change they may skip the hard top and move on. But leave computers/camera equipment or golf clubs in there and the thieves are not going to walk around for something easier than say glass to get to it.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Sold mine on CL. Black body colored 2 door for $1300. When I sold mine there were 5 or 6 for sale at the same time. Plenty of choices cheaper than new.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Check out our hard tops at www.dv8offroad.com/tops We sell replacement tops at well under what your dealer will charge you, and we have a slantback top for a different look. All of our tops have a carpeted liner as well for better insulation and noise cancelling. Check them out and if you like them give us a call at (951) 680 9595 and we will get you set up with a forum discount with one of our nearby retailers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hard Top Update!

I checked CL and found only pretty beat looking stuff for older Jeeps in the LA area, but I did find Jeep King USA in Chula Vista. I drove down there today and got a custom built single-piece hard-top with a sunroof, installed for under $2000. Hector and his sons at Jeep King USA build a great product and give excellent customer service. Highly recommend them if you're in SoCal.

Thanks for all the feedback!

:iamhappy:

·
Registered
34 Posts
You might also consider running the Tuffy Security deck. I switch back and forth on the soft/hardtop and the security deck keep things out of sight and secure.

was going to suggest the SD guy, but you figured that out quickly! Those tops look pretty good in the ads.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts