Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it's time for the hard top. Wet and cold this morning.
Any ideas on how to get more heat out of a 98 wrangler heater?

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
My heater gets so hot I have to turn it down after a while. Even with only a soft top and 1/2 doors. Maybe the heater core needs a flush.

·
I luv bourbonz!
3,105 Posts
What they said... My heater will have me sweating with a soft top.

·
Registered
513 Posts
With the yjs, we can upgrade the blower motor with one from a bronco I believe. Maybe you could look into that for a tj.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
There is no need to change blower motors. The TJ heater as indicated above provides a ton of heat. Either there is a problem with the heater core or the blend door which diverts the air across the core.

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
start by making sure your not low on coolent... also if you stuff a wool blanket in behind the back seat it will stop a lot of air from coming in any cracks around the tailgate. I keep two blankets back there all winter just incase we need 'em.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks! I had to replace the radiator and flushed the heater core then and it seemed clear. Haven't checked to make sure vent is letting air flow acrossed the core. Need to do that. It's just not warm enough.

·
Registered
354 Posts
As I once read somewhere on this forum, 'the Wrangler heater has a direct line to the center of hell'. So, as has been stated, if your heater is working properly, you won't have to worry about trying to boost it's performance. =) I haven't even used our heater yet. Still using the air conditioning. It's hot in the desert!

·
Registered
619 Posts
just used my heater today & it was hot that i had to turn down the blower motor after driving about 10 minutes.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
i don't think i have ever owned a vehicle with a more brutal, punishing heater than my TJ.

·
Registered
8 Posts
wwch99tj said:
Might want to check the heater core, make sure it's not clogged up. The heater in my 99 will run me out....
My heater is warm but not hot, its hotter when I'm not moving but I need warm clothes to drive it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yea I was underwhelmed with the heat coming out of my '98, I pulled the two heater hoses off, back flushed with water. Poured a little Prestone radiator flush in there, let it sit for a few, then rinsed with fresh water until clear.....holy crap....it will melt my dash now....HUGE difference.

·
Registered
562 Posts
The temp coming out of the vents in my old '01 TJ was 210 degrees, which is exactly where the temp gage was always at. Definitely one of the best heaters in any vehicle I've ever owned.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Awwww think I found the problem. When I changed the radiator out I think there was a air blockage. Now that I've driven it a while and added more coolant it seems to be producing heat. I'll follow up when we have another cold day.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
** someone back me up on this I know it works for some but have not yet tried it on my jeep**

a good way to get the air out... let it idle with the radiator cap off until the thermostat cycles a couple times. Make sure you have the heat on when you do it.

My mother in laws car actually has a bleeder valve on the top of her intake, just flushed hers yesterday.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I flushed the core and it made a big difference, I now have a hot jeep. Does anyone know how to tighten up the mirrors or something to where they don't move so easy?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts