Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just took the hardtop out of storage and threw it on the jeep. Ever since I bought my 04 Sport from the previous owner, there have been a few parts of the hardtop that the Khaki paint has chipped away, exposing the white fiberglass below.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem? Has anyone attempted to do something about it? And if you have, how did you fix it? I assume just paint over it, but does Jeep even make touch up paint for the Khaki Hardtop?

·
Registered
356 Posts
A left field suggestion is to paint it with sand color spray paint (best matching) or take a few flakes of peeling paint to an auto body paint supplier and let them color match for sun fade etc. That, or redo it in black. A few hours of prep and a few cans of black flexicote paint will make it look good. That is the same flexible paint I use to recondition my black exterior trim.

·
Registered
92 Posts
My hard top is the black and had the same problems. I went to Lowes looking for some Rustoleum in satin black which I thought would match. They didn't have it in the Rustoleum brand but did in the house brand. I used a small water color style paint brush to apply it. As it started to dry I would daub the tacky paint with the brush which then left a light texture that blended perfect with the factory finish.
As for which color would match the Khaki, you may have to do a little work or blending to match.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Prep it and use bedliner, im sure they'll have it in your color and you won't have to worry about it chipping anymore.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Prep it and use bedliner, im sure they'll have it in your color and you won't have to worry about it chipping anymore.
Wouldn't the bedliner make the hardtop substantially more heavy?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Im looking to repaint my entire tan hardtop. Its originally off a '97 TJ and is only a slight shade of what it once was. If anyone has any ideas of what paint to use im interested

1 - 9 of 9 Posts