Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a question to anyone who has transitioned from soft to hard top for any JK models...how much trade-in value if any does it make when the time comes to buy another vehicle. If anyone has the inside scoop do let me know. btw I’ve already went on kbb to investigate this further with the results being almost not much of a difference compared to a soft top trade-in. Hopefully the community provide some resourceful information.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Hard tops come in a few flavors- black, color matched, and slight differences based on model year. Soft tops do too- OEM, premium or standard, Sunrider. Variations between top, model year and whether associated hardware is 100% present. Used and new in box. Soft tops have a finite lifespan, and after a period of use can start to leak and require replacement. There are a couple of factors to consider- prices of hard tops and soft tops on the secondary marketplace are all over the place in terms of how much either can be had for. This changes with condition of the top (hard or soft), time of year being sold, motivation of the seller. Whether the seller still has the Jeep the top belongs to has a lot to do with selling price on the secondary market.

The point? Either type of top can be had relatively cheaply or very expensively. I think for trade-in purposes, if your Jeep has a functional "turn key" top of either type, it will increase the saleability of the Jeep for the dealer taking it in as trade, with the understanding the potential buyer has a bunch of options should they want to change things after the fact. Will dual tops with both in good condition command a slight premium? I would think so, as the potential market for the Jeep opens up to more buyers, but I wouldn't expect the premium to bring a dramatically higher trade-in (wholesale) price the dealer will offer.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Had a question to anyone who has transitioned from soft to hard top for any JK models...how much trade-in value if any does it make when the time comes to buy another vehicle. If anyone has the inside scoop do let me know. btw I’ve already went on kbb to investigate this further with the results being almost not much of a difference compared to a soft top trade-in. Hopefully the community provide some resourceful information.
You are in PA, it snows. Having a hard top anywhere it snows should get you more on trade in.

I would not buy it if it did not have a hardtop.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I traded a 2013 soft top jk in 2017. They gave me 19000 for it and I paid 27000 new. The salesman told me that they are a tough sell in northern Wisconsin where our winter's are kind of rough. He also said that they could trade it to some other dealership farther south where it would be an easier sell. Also it's not a huge investment to put a hard top on it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the information, and as I suspected I would figure an investment in a hardtop wouldn’t that bad. Regardless, I’m at a point now where that bridge is coming closer into focus to cross and I just don’t want to procrastinate too long

1 - 5 of 5 Posts