Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picking up my first wrangler unlimited tomorrow. I bought a hard top. Do I need to go buy a sunrider soft top or is the hard top easy enough to put on and off?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Got my jeep 2 months ago..got both tops. Love the way the hard top looks but the versatility of the sun rider soft top is awesome. I love it especially safari style

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
The hard top has two panels above the front seats that easily come out. If you want the entire top off, the only "easy" way to do it is to install a hoist in your garage that lifts it straight off and up. Otherwise, it's a two person job to do comfortably.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I have both. I use the HT for winter and the ST for all the other seasons. I need help removing the HT. Also, if your out somewhere and you want to remove the HT, you can't just leave it there if your not going back. The ST you obviously can. I also can put the ST up or down myself in 10 minutes.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I love my soft top, but i've never had experience with a hard top, no one i wheel with has got one. I would say just run with the hard top and see how you like it, then decide whether you think a soft top would be a good investment or not. Good luck! :thumb:

·
Registered
36 Posts
With two people, the hard top comes off in 5 minutes...dead simple. But you can't take it with you...

I bought the hard top myself, and JUST purchased a soft top recently. I'm debating on keeping the hard top...will be great for winter but is some work to swap tops...if I had to do it again, I'd probably go soft top only.

I will say...if you buy a soft top, pay for a dealer install. Putting it together is an incredible PITA, and well worth 250 bucks. Just make sure they show you how to take down and put up...the first time I took it home it was installed incorrectly and didn't work...sigh :)

Good now tho! And love it!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,995 Posts
Hard top and order the NX top!!! Half the price of the soft top from the stealer and offers a better configuration:
Full top on
Windows out for the safari look
Flip back for the sun top

image-1066867465.jpg

Hard top

image-3234608376.jpg

NX top no windows safari style

Attachments

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Does anyone feel that access to the cargo area is a pain in the *** with the soft top? I love being able to just open my tailgate with the hard top and flip the glass up with one hand when I'm carrying things. On my '92 soft top, it was a two hand job unzipping the rear window and pulling the bar from the brackets to move the window out of the way. How does everybody feel about the soft top on the JK? Is it easy to use as far as cargo access? Do you love it or wish it was better? I'm trying to decide hard top vs. soft top for shopping new JKs this week.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Picking up my first wrangler unlimited tomorrow. I bought a hard top. Do I need to go buy a sunrider soft top or is the hard top easy enough to put on and off?
It's your cash, but I went with Bestop for a bikini look. Depends on what your lifestyle is.

1st thing to go was the back seat, then the Hard top, then the doors for me.

Storage Unit by Mopar:

Storage System for Hard Top and Doors - 82210645 | Mopar

View attachment 134822

Tube doors and a bikini works for me, but the sky is the limit, it's your wallet?

50 Something

·
Registered
229 Posts
Does anyone feel that access to the cargo area is a pain in the *** with the soft top? I love being able to just open my tailgate with the hard top and flip the glass up with one hand when I'm carrying things. On my '92 soft top, it was a two hand job unzipping the rear window and pulling the bar from the brackets to move the window out of the way. How does everybody feel about the soft top on the JK? Is it easy to use as far as cargo access? Do you love it or wish it was better? I'm trying to decide hard top vs. soft top for shopping new JKs this week.
It is a little bit of a PITA. Window in, top up, I just slide things under the window into the back. Window out, top up or in sunrider, it's great. Window out, top down, another PITA. That's why I generally ride windows out and in sunrider position. Easy access to the back, dogs can jump right in and you still have the top back over the driver and passengers.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Best way to go in my opinion is hard top on with no doors...... It makes u feel protected but the doors off give u that jeep feel... Plus makes by stereo and sub sound rly loud ..but I own both tops and go with whatever ur comfy with

·
Registered
81 Posts
I bought my Jeep with the HT and love it. It is "summer" here so i put on a Trextop NX. I love the way the sunrider feature works but everything else is a little more difficult (rear access, window removal etc.)

If I could do it all over again, I would have bought the hoist for my HT and then an emergency cover that I could take with me for when the top was off and the weather turned bad. Actually the weather here hasn't even gotten nice so I should have kept the HT on. We had two warm days which I used to install the trextop NX and it has rained and been in the 50-60s since.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am new to this site! My first post...My jeep is a 2009 2-door wrangler X - came with a soft top. I live in Canada - Alberta to be exact. And everyone laughed at me. BUT, the soft top kept me warm, didn't leak, not really that noisy. Easy to take the sunrider top off....however, we camp lots and bears can EASILY get into the soft top for food as well as anyone looking to check out what we have in the back. I decided to get a hard top and found a second hand one that was in excellent condition. So I put it on and I am going to see how it is for the summer and if I miss my soft top. So far I don't - I used the sunrider top more than taking the top fully off - and I can do this with the hard top. It is easier to access the back with the hard top as the window just flips up as opposed to unzipping it, it is much quieter (I hate to admit it), it is more secure and it is bigger inside than with the soft top. My issue now is storing the soft top because I don't have much room (and therefore the hard top!) - will let you all know if I decide next summer to put the soft top back on.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Going to have my new Wrangler here in a few months with my first ever hard top. I only had a soft top on my old TJ. I liked it, but at the same time I don't think I'm going to miss it. Hard tops will hold up better over time, be quieter, and provide better AC in the summer along with heat in the winter. No huge complaints about the soft top. I just think a hard top looks better. I may possibly order a soft top for it sometime in the future but for now I'm going to give this hard top a try.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Best way to go in my opinion is hard top on with no doors...... It makes u feel protected but the doors off give u that jeep feel... Plus makes by stereo and sub sound rly loud ..but I own both tops and go with whatever ur comfy with
Do you have any issues with wind buffeting? Worried about blowing out the back window?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts