Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I'm new to this forum...just purchased a new 2013 Rubicon. My DH thinks that it has a lot of wind noise coming from the windshield. Has anyone had this problem, and if so...is there a fix? It is really quiet just driving around town, it's when we are on the freeway/highway.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
The only thing I know of is installing a headliner. Supposedly, they will cut down on the noise. You might google hot headiners or check on you tube. I think they did a video and it shows how their headliners cut down on the noise and helped insulate against the heat and cold.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Welcome to the family. 1 point of advice: Jeeps make noise, including a lot of wind noise... Your vehicle is fine... Totally normal.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
My 2013 hard top is quiet. I read on another thread somewhere that one person solved their noise issue by removing and re-installing the freedom panels over the drivers and passenger seats.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've tried taking the freedom panels off and on, but it didn't change anything. The hard top is relatively quiet considering it is a jeep! But, when we get on the highway, that's when we hear the wind noise that my husband thinks we shouldn't be hearing. I just wanted to see what other Jeep owners were experiencing and if they had a solution...besides just living with it.

Thanks for those who responded.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Use masking tape on the outside to seal where you think the sound is coming from. Some have had a swirling sound from the drivers "a" pillar. I thought I had the same issue, took it to the dealer and showed them the star case info(got that from this forum). They fill the "a" pillar with expanding foam. The Jeep has to be kept overnight, it takes 12 hours to cure. Still didn't fix mine. I took my "a" pillar back apart and drove with a rag and covered up different areas until the sound went away. Mine was the bottom corner of the window was leaking in air. It looks like there is a rubber seal that was twisted in the corner. I just applied some silicone to fill the gap. The dealer told me they may have to keep my Jeep for up to four days to find and repair the wind leak. I just fixed it myself. You might want to take it to your dealer. If it is the "a" pillar look up star case #1123000054

·
Registered
7 Posts
yeah,one person solved their noise issue by removing and re-installing the freedom panels over the drivers and passenger seats.good luck , thanks for your sharing . .

·
Registered
937 Posts
Just DON'T reef down on those screws that go into the soundbar (for the freedom panels)! Do a simple hand-tighten...you may have to re-tighten, but they will eventually seat.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I was hearing wind noise, too, but I think I've discovered a leak in the bottom left of the windshield as noted above. Now that it's cold, I can feel the leak on the highway.

S

·
Registered
861 Posts
just installed the hotheads headliner. made a world of a difference in wind noise!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not sure how a headliner would help with my wind noise? I realize that it would help with the accoustics, but I think my wind noise is coming from the joints where the freedom top meets the windshield. I'm still trying to pin point where it's coming from. I can't really feel it coming from anywhere, I just hear it on the highway...like I said in an earlier thread, around town it's really quiet!

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
I've tried taking the freedom panels off and on, but it didn't change anything. The hard top is relatively quiet considering it is a jeep! But, when we get on the highway, that's when we hear the wind noise that my husband thinks we shouldn't be hearing. I just wanted to see what other Jeep owners were experiencing and if they had a solution...besides just living with it.

Thanks for those who responded.
It's a Jeep. A brick is more aerodynamic than a Jeep. You're going to experience wind noise, no matter what you do. My hardtop is leak-free (water), yet wind noise is very prominent. It's just the way it goes...

·
Registered
861 Posts
It's a Jeep. A brick is more aerodynamic than a Jeep. You're going to experience wind noise, no matter what you do. My hardtop is leak-free (water), yet wind noise is very prominent. It's just the way it goes...
^^^this. thats why I suggested a headliner. its suprising how much this will reduce the noise.

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
^^^this. thats why I suggested a headliner. its suprising how much this will reduce the noise.
I just saw another thread regarding Mopar headliners and how they cut down on the "boom."

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
rtguy said:
just installed the hotheads headliner. made a world of a difference in wind noise!!!
Two questions on the headliners: 1. What's the least expensive option and price? 2. How much heavier does it make the freedom panels?

Thanks!

S

·
Registered
861 Posts
weight change is not really substanial to even notice a difference with the hotheads. i believe the least expensive is the mopar liner according to some posts i have read. they are on nat'l backorder with no date of availability however. i rec the Hotheads Headliners. they may cost a bit more but are excellent quality and fit. made in the USA as well. pricing varies on 2/4 doors and if you get the side panels. hotheads had a sale going for about $200 and $300 for the full kit with side window panels.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts