Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, it's winter time and I put my hard top back on. Problem is, my hard top is form an 89, and my jeep never had the defroster wiring/switch. What all do I need?

Ibuildembig- Got any of this stuff layin' around?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Got my Jeep a few months ago and I'm working on the same thing. Got a 94 and the top is from an 80s YJ, so no rear wiper.

You have the under dash wiring already. The switch would go the right of the steering wheel but you have to cut out a space for it. There's a red socket there that will fit the rear defrost switch you'll need to get.
Under the steering wheel you should see a big black and a big gray connector. The black connector will be plugged in but the gray will just be hanging, so you need to buy a hardtop harness to get the wiring for the defrost. I found mine on ebay and it will replace the wiring running to the back of the jeep and will also include the gray connector and most importantly the red timer relay that powers the defrost.

Lastly if your jeep is like mine the hardtop connector won't match. The 94 has an 8 pin with extra wiring for the rear wiper, while the old top has a 4 pin.
I'm hoping to get it working this weekend so I'll post back once I figure out which two wires are for the defroster. Hopefully I'm not missing anything

1 - 3 of 3 Posts