Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what do i need to go from a soft top to a hard top?

·
Registered
642 Posts
A hard top.

If it has the rear wiper & defrost, you'll also need the wire harness & switches and washer fluid bottle with the extra pump in it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it does but i doubt i hook it up

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
6 bolts to bolt it to the tub.....

·
Dont forget a Jack strap
30,851 Posts
And a buddy to help you put it on that's about it

·
Registered
20 Posts
here are the bolts i got from the dealer, they aint cheap. but i know you could get by using something from the hardware store. regretably if you get the ones from the dealer you need a 30t torx screwdriver.

you dont necessarily need the wiring kit. I still havent wired mine up yet.

but watch that you get the right kit for your top. I messed that up myself. from 00-01 the connector on the top is different from the one that might have gone on your jeep from the factory. Add it up and the wires that go to the instrument cluster could be different too. :banghead:..

Personally I´m going to run the wires to where they need to be, install the bottle, switches and leave the rest of the wiring to the pros. hope this helps....

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
how much was the bolts?

·
Registered
20 Posts
i think it was around 25 bucks for six. pretty expensive, when you compare to the hardware store.
someone out here prolly has a better idea of what you could use as an alternative than myself.

and i got my hardtop for 500 not bad at all just gotta watch craigslist for a good deal

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what do you do with the bolts from the top front part of your soft top

·
Registered
20 Posts
depends on if you wanna put it back on, or sell it, i suppose...

i treat them like they are gold. because god only knows how much the dealer would want for those. put them in a bag and throw them in your glovebox and dont lose them.

same with the door frames for your soft top. i heard those things are really expensive like 200 bucks or more...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
door frames? the rubber parts around the door?

·
Registered
20 Posts
depends if you want new or used...

i got mine off craigslist. most of the ones on ebay you have to drive and pick up. which could be hit or miss depending on the location. i think the dealers still can order hardtops too.
But there are other websites that also sell them so check them out.
i cant think of any off the top of my head tho.

·
Registered
871 Posts
get it from CL. depending on your locale, expect to spend anywhere from 800-1200 for a used top in very good condition. MAKE SURE IT'S FOR A TJ (97-06)!!! A CJ/YJ top will not fit w/o major modification. Also, make sure you get one with tint or get it tinted...otherwise even in cold outside temps you'll roast inside your jeep if the sun is out. It's like a greenhouse. A lot of sellers will include the hardware, if not, a bolt collection from the hardware store can be had for less than $20.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts