Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(2009 jk 2dr)

Can I have both tops on at once, without damage to either?

How much storage would it leave me with? (enough for 2 full sized travel bags?)

Thanks,
Ed

·
Registered
498 Posts
erose100 said:
(2009 jk 2dr)

Can I have both tops on at once, without damage to either?

How much storage would it leave me with? (enough for 2 full sized travel bags?)

Thanks,
Ed
Nope. One top at a time. No exceptions.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
I think you could have the soft top folded down and still have hard top on as well. They used to ship TJs that way but IDK about JKs. Could look in the almost 2 inch thick owner's manual. I did and on the 2012s it says you can not--as they will rub against each other and cause damage and not be covered under warranty.
So I guess the answer is you can but it is not a good idea to do so.

·
Registered
498 Posts
jp2611 said:
I think you could have the soft top folded down and still have hard top on as well. They used to ship TJs that way but IDK about JKs. Could look in the almost 2 inch thick owner's manual. I did and on the 2012s it says you can not--as they will rub against each other and cause damage and not be covered under warranty.
So I guess the answer is you can but it is not a good idea to do so.
Nope. This isn't a grey issue. The answer is no. Don't do it.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Its your Jeep, do as you want. But if it were mine, I would take the time to switch them out......

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
Nope. This isn't a grey issue. The answer is no. Don't do it.
After rereading OP you are correct--I missed the part about no damage to either--was more concerned about space left over.

It does say in the 2012 manual you can not do it with out damage. Kinda odd IMO as Tjs used to be shipped that way.

·
Registered
498 Posts
jp2611 said:
After rereading OP you are correct--I missed the part about no damage to either--was more concerned about space left over.

It does say in the 2012 manual you can not do it with out damage. Kinda odd IMO as Tjs used to be shipped that way.
Dual top JKs are also shipped that way. But as soon as you get it home, you've got to take one of the tops off.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
What are your plans? Are you moving? You can do it for transport, you just need to wrap up the soft top as tight as it came from the factory. I wouldn't keep the soft top on with the hard top just for the reason that it's a pain in the butt to get stuff in and out of the cargo area with the soft top in.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Yes we have the dual top option, it was shipped with both on. But the boxes for the side frames and side windows are quite large.
So yes you can travel with both but having the soft top folded up makes it very hard to get stuff in and out of the back. ie large bags. The time it takes to put the soft top back is about 15 minutes. So as everybody has said easier and less chance of rub damage if you keep the softy off while the hard top is on.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What are your plans? Are you moving? You can do it for transport, you just need to wrap up the soft top as tight as it came from the factory. I wouldn't keep the soft top on with the hard top just for the reason that it's a pain in the butt to get stuff in and out of the cargo area with the soft top in.
I am in college, so no garage, and constantly moving around. I am going to buy a softtop when I get back up to New York(origin FL). How long does it take to switch out tops?

And can a hardtop be stored on its side?

I am thinking about getting a storage space for the summer and leaving the hardtop there. Obviously a softtop isn't the most secure thing around, so I am worried about that plan as well.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am in college, already about to dump 400 on the softtop, any cheaper solutions?

Also for the 1.5k hours to install softtop first time, what would you guess the 2nd time to take?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I am in college, already about to dump 400 on the softtop, any cheaper solutions?

Also for the 1.5k hours to install softtop first time, what would you guess the 2nd time to take?
Depends. What year and is it a JKU or JK? And are you asking for me to help put it on? Cause I will if you stop in Richmond, Va on your travel from Fl to NY. i live less than a mile off of 95......

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
JK 09, I'm sure I can figure it out, besides I wont have it yet. There some good deals up in NY area. Found a used for 200 and a new for 400, prices in FL are much worse. Thanks though. Transporting 2 tops + my stuff is going to suck.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
JK 09, I'm sure I can figure it out, besides I wont have it yet. There some good deals up in NY area. Found a used for 200 and a new for 400, prices in FL are much worse. Thanks though. Transporting 2 tops + my stuff is going to suck.
It's not that hard if you can follow directions and have the tools. The hardest part was the header. And do it in a yard where you can lay everything out......

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I laid mine upright and had it on 4x4's on my patio with the rear glass facing up and a towel between the top and wood. The two freedom tops went in the storage shed. And I can't remember exactly what tools but it wasn't anything special. I think that I used my DeWalt drill quite a bit to put in all the screws on the header......

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
The top is in the weather when on the Jeep so I let it weather the summer out.....no problems.....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Would laying it flat(either way) work with a blanket underneath?

How much space does the hardware take up for the softtop?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts