Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a factory soft top 2004 TJ. I just purchased a used 97-02 style hardtop a few weekends ago. When I was going through it, I noticed it did not have the wiper motor cover and a grommet for the defrost wire was pushed in, so I pulled the grommet out and the wire was not connected, I then connected it and put the grommet into place.
I also bought the jeepsareus wire kit, harness for the different style plugs, and the wiper motor cover. Came in the mail today, started to test fit some stuff before I start the install tomorrow and the day after (I am doing the install in the college parking lot).
Turns out the previous owner had already did his own modifications to the hardtop. I noticed the plug in the hardtop was already switched out for the newer style plug for the newer style jeep, so the harness I bought could be returned. I pulled the plug out from the hardtop and at a glance, all of the wires looked correctly connected together to the new style plug.
Then I test fitted the wiper motor cover, not so good. The wiper motor cover is too narrow to fit over it and just does not fit in general. As of now, I am really confused on what the previous owner all did, why was the wiper motor cover off in the first place? Why was the defroster plug unplugged? Why does this wiper cover not fit? Did the previous owner switch out the wiper motor for a different style motor? Any input will be greatly appreciated. I am anxious to install it all to find out if everything works.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After looking at pictures of the 97-02 and 03-06 rear wiper motor. I believe I have the 03-06 rear wiper motor, I will double check tomorrow after classes. Does the 03-06 wiper motor just bolt right into place of the 97-02 wiper motor mounting holes? Trying to figure out what is all going on with this top still.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One more update of what I think, I believe the rear glass on my hardtop is from a 03-06 hardtop since mounting holes are different between the two. So when I wire up all of this, all of it should work if the motor is wired into the hardtop correctly, right?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Make sure you buy the kit for the year of your JEEP! You can get an adapter from the wiring harness to the hard top connector.
I bought all the correct parts, but my hardtop was already modified from p.o. I'm going to try to hook it all up today but it's pretty cold out so we'll see how much I get done. The thing is, the p.o. already chopped the oem plug off and connected the newer style plug so I do not even need the adapter that I purchased. I'm not going to return anything until I have everything working though. I'm not sure why the p.o. would switch out the motor assemblies though, I have the newer glass with newer motor assembly, so I can't fit a plastic cover over it.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just finished wiring it all, everything works perfect, I didn't even have to use the wire harness adapter because the plug that was already wired in worked correctly, so I can return that and get a hundred bucks back thankfully.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hardtop

I had the same problem, when I bought my jeep, 2006, that wiper cover was missing. Guy at Morris 4/4, sent me to the Mopar factory, apparently several different vendors supply that wiper motor, to Mopar. And the covers are different, and on top of all that, the covers are supplied by a different vendor, I finally found a cover that fit, not perfectly, but it worked for me. Right now I am trying to find some rocker switches for my center console. Kinda like to get the rocker switch that has the indicator lite on it, when it's on.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had the same problem, when I bought my jeep, 2006, that wiper cover was missing. Guy at Morris 4/4, sent me to the Mopar factory, apparently several different vendors supply that wiper motor, to Mopar. And the covers are different, and on top of all that, the covers are supplied by a different vendor, I finally found a cover that fit, not perfectly, but it worked for me. Right now I am trying to find some rocker switches for my center console. Kinda like to get the rocker switch that has the indicator lite on it, when it's on.
What cover do you think would fit over mine? It's the newer motor from the new style hardtop. I bought the 97-02 motor cover because I thought I had that, but I have newer glass/motor on it. If you got the jeepsareus kit, it came with everything including oem switches.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts