Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, the wife and I are headed to the mountains next weekend for a little R&R. I decided to "summerize" the JKUR, you know, service, top off the fluids, pull the hardtop, mount the softtop. Generally everything need to get ready for a hassle free summer Jeep experience.
I have an electric hoist in my garage along with a Lange Hoist-a-top frame. I have used this setup for two summers and it has been flawless. Sunday, not so much. I prepped everything and got the top off the Jeep, lowered it, added the freedom panels and raised it back up. I turned around to hang the remote control for the hoist and CRASH! :censored: down comes the top, panels and frame. The "stop" for the cable end failed and allowed the frame to come loose from the cable.
Top has two six inch cracks in the corners over the passenger seat, the front corners are pretty beat up and there are spider cracks all over it. Suprisingly, all of the windows survived.
Oh, well. That's why we buy insurance, right? Adjuster is coming by the house to evaluate it. Hopefully they will replace the shell and I can find a used one in as good a shape as mine was in. Right now I need to figure out a way to secure the top when it is up in the air so it doesn't happen again!
Anybody else destroyed a top like this? Experiences with your insurance?

Scott

·
Registered
18 Posts
That suuuucks.

Did you install it yourself? I'm curious to know what the insurance will do for you if it wasn't 'professionally' installed.

Good luck!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did install it myself. Where the cable stop failed is the weak link, I have an idea on how to make sure it never happens again.
I talked to the insurance adjuster a while ago and I don't think they are going to give me too much grief. I would much prefer they replace it rather than try to fix it as I am concerned about leaks. We'll wait and see...............

·
Registered
344 Posts
This is why I bought the TopLiftPro by alien technologies. My short experience with a Lange Hoist a Cart, left me stranded in my driveway holding my top until my neighbor came home.

After using this thing, i can't imagine going through the trouble of using a hoist. I can also take the top off in less than 3 minutes including removing all bolts.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I put in some strategically place eye bolts, and a couple ratchet straps as an extra safety measure for keeping the top hanging, if the lift should fail.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is why I bought the TopLiftPro by alien technologies. My short experience with a Lange Hoist a Cart, left me stranded in my driveway holding my top until my neighbor came home.

After using this thing, i can't imagine going through the trouble of using a hoist. I can also take the top off in less than 3 minutes including removing all bolts.
The hoist system as is works real well. Had I been a bit more diligent in checking the attachment points for the clevis, I would have been fine. The problem (at least for me) with the TopLiftPro or other systems like it, is storage. I actually own a BestTop HOSS system but wanted to free up floor space in my garage. I look like a hoarder based on my garage as it is.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Would you mind posting a pic or two of where the failure occurred? I am about to order a lange and want to make aure i reinforce any weak points.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Would you mind posting a pic or two of where the failure occurred? I am about to order a lange and want to make aure i reinforce any weak points.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
The failure was NOT the fault of Lange's setup. Failure was on the cable rope where it attaches to the clevis for the lift. I replaced the hand crank on the Lange hoist with an electric winch that I owned.

·
Bella's Jeeper
1,301 Posts
I have the Harkin Hoist and added extra safety ropes (the yellow ropes in the photos) between the pig tails in case of rope or mechanism failure. I guess if the bolts come out of the 2x4 or the 2x4 comes off the joists I'm screwed but otherwise seems solid. It would be easy to add hooks/eyes into joists and rig up something similar for other hoists I would think.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
That sucks!

I keep waiting for my self installed eye bolts to let go, but they have been great and I think I could hang on them.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I'm assuming your deductible is pretty low to use your insurance. Is that going to raise your rates to the point that it outweighs buying a used top from someone off craigslist?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm assuming your deductible is pretty low to use your insurance. Is that going to raise your rates to the point that it outweighs buying a used top from someone off craigslist?
Deductible is 500. When I spoke to the initial adjuster, she determined it to be a comprehensive claim with "no fault" so it should not impact my rates. I have 4 vehicles insured with them and very few claims over the last 10 years so I don't expect to see an increase.
Pending the outcome of the inspection and the determination of the adjuster, I will decide what to do. Hopefully they will deem the top "unfixable" and I can use the insurance money to pay for a Craigslist take off. I am not sure that fixing mine is possible with a good outcome (no leaks, texture and paint matching etc.)

·
Registered
660 Posts
As someone who is about to install her hardtop hoist, I am now terrified. Any engineers near SW Ohio want to come do it for me and check for faults? I will offer drinks for after.

Okcpuckfan - Hope it is resolved soon. Glad you were not parked under it at the time!

Reactions: Okcpuckfan

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
That's too bad, but if there's a bright side, it's that it didn't fall on something/somebody.

No reason at all that the comp insurance shouldn't cover it. Whether the hoist was professionally installed or not has nothing to do with it.

·
Registered
307 Posts
The failure was NOT the fault of Lange's setup. Failure was on the cable rope where it attaches to the clevis for the lift. I replaced the hand crank on the Lange hoist with an electric winch that I owned.

What was the rating of the hoist? I have been using a Harbor Freight 220/440 pound model and the top hangs by itself when I drive the Jeep out from under the top. I then lower the top to the floor where it sits.

Did you leave the top hanging on the hoist all the time the top was off usually? Wondering if that led to eventual failure...

Sorry this happened to you.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have the Harkin Hoist and added extra safety ropes (the yellow ropes in the photos) between the pig tails in case of rope or mechanism failure. I guess if the bolts come out of the 2x4 or the 2x4 comes off the joists I'm screwed but otherwise seems solid. It would be easy to add hooks/eyes into joists and rig up something similar for other hoists I would think.
How long did it take you to install your Hardin Hoist. I got mine a week ago and my husband and I started to do it but the 2x4 I got split. We bought more and will do it Saturday. Another question a carpenter told us the 2x4s weren't necessary because we can screw the pigtails right into the planks in the attic (it's just drywall separating)
I plan to follow the directions but wanted your thoughts. I would hate to damage Omar's top for skipping a step. Great idea with the additional safety ropes.

·
Bella's Jeeper
1,301 Posts
How long did it take you to install your Hardin Hoist. I got mine a week ago and my husband and I started to do it but the 2x4 I got split. We bought more and will do it Saturday. Another question a carpenter told us the 2x4s weren't necessary because we can screw the pigtails right into the planks in the attic (it's just drywall separating)
I plan to follow the directions but wanted your thoughts. I would hate to damage Omar's top for skipping a step. Great idea with the additional safety ropes.
Probably took a couple of hours. The worst part was finding the joists and getting the drop ropes the right length so the top sits levelish. You can screw the pigtails directly into the joists if they are located correctly - mine weren't. I split my first 2x4 also - then I drilled slightly bigger pilot holes in them and didn't have any problem.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What was the rating of the hoist? I have been using a Harbor Freight 220/440 pound model and the top hangs by itself when I drive the Jeep out from under the top. I then lower the top to the floor where it sits.

Did you leave the top hanging on the hoist all the time the top was off usually? Wondering if that led to eventual failure...

Sorry this happened to you.
It wasn't the actual winch that failed. I had to cut the wire rope to attach the Lange clevis that the top lifter attaches to. The ferrule I swaged onto the wire rope failed.
I have had the top hanging for 2 summers now with no issues. However, this time I may have run the top up a bit too far and put it under stress.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts