Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WHAT am I missing out on. My jeep has a soft top and it seems where I live the ratio of hard top to soft top is 10:1, Just curious...

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
I bought my Jeep with a hardtop because it is quieter and more secure than a soft top. I have a hoist for the hard top in my garage and it takes my about 15 minutes to take the entire roof off. And it only takes about 3 minutes to remove the front freedom panels.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
WHAT am I missing out on. My jeep has a soft top and it seems where I live the ratio of hard top to soft top is 10:1, Just curious...
Only have the hardtop for winter time, run the soft top any other time. But I have also noticed about the same ratio where I'm at.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I had both.sold the hard top .for me its just easier to pop the sunrider take the rear window out and go.the freedom panel on the hardtop were nice but when you take them out you need to carry them with you in case it rains,takes up space.but on the other hand it easier to acsess the back with glass its more secure from vandels.in my opinion i think the four doors look better with hard top and the two doors look better with soft

·
Registered
837 Posts
Security. I ordered mine with a hard top because people can cut your soft top....or get this....throw a cigarrette on the top of it and let it burn through. That was one I heard recently from an ex jeep owner. Pretty much even if you leave it unlocked they might slash the soft top in the "hood".

Hard top for me.....also the stereo sounds infinitely better bass wise with the hard top :D (9 speaker alpine)

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
Another chocolates-vanilla issue. What are you missing?
The answer is.... You aren't "missing" anything.
As for "hype", again answer - No.
Its personal preference much like 2 vs 4 door or auto vs stick.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Another chocolates-vanilla issue. What are you missing?
The answer is.... You aren't "missing" anything.
As for "hype", again answer - No.
Its personal preference much like 2 vs 4 door or auto vs stick.
^^This^^

I have both and constantly flop between the 2. Hard top has been off for a month now, but is getting to be a pain during the rainy season (no hoist). I am thinking about putting the soft top on for the foreseeable future. I love the sunrider feature and removable windows for those iffy weather days. Around here, I never see soft tops.

Our old JK was soft top only. When parking it, I always left the doors unlocked to prevent top damage. Not sure if that does anything though. Any experienced thief knows they can unzip the windows.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Should have asked this question when it was minus 24 this past winter. You would have got a lot more answers. I love my hardtops for winter but I just bought a soft top for the summer. I say get both.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I got the hardtop for winters in Ohio. But since I've heard of all the problems people are having with it I'm not sure it was a good choice. Now that I moved the jeep to Flordia I picked up a Bestop NX. With my old TJ I just left the doors opened and didn't worry about security.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have the soft top and really like it. This is my first Wrangler and I wasn't sure about the soft top when I bought the Jeep, but winter was no problem, and we had a cold one, but the heater is great and noise hasn't been a problem for me. In fact, even with the soft top, it's about as quiet as any other vehicle I have owned, and even with the top down, you can hear the radio great and it doesnt have to be turned all the way up, even at hwy speeds. I tested that out today. The wife and I went out today and finally put the sunrider back and drove around all day, just riding and enjoying the day. Only takes a couple of minutes to pop it back and I just unzip the back window on each side, up to the top of the window and drive it like that. Went down the hwy at 70mph and no problems. With the back window unzipped to the top on each side, plenty of air can get out and it's alot easier than unzipping it completely, unless you're taking the top all the back, then I would, but for just the sunrider, it works great and is very is and quick.
As for security, if a thief really wants something, they'll find a way to get it, whether they break glass or cut the top off.

·
Registered
502 Posts
After putting more thought into this question, I realize that I like the soft top better than the hard top. My ONLY gripe about the soft top is trying to put stuff in the cargo area; much easier with hard top.

In retrospect (and honesty), I think the only reason I got dual tops was because I didn't see any soft tops around here. :banghead:

·
Registered
615 Posts
I've had both. Currently have a soft top. I would have preferred a hard top but was buying used and this is the one that came closest to my needs for the money. In a few years I'll pick up a used hard top for it.

I could care less about taking the top off and getting sunburned. When I want air I take the doors off, get plenty of wind and still drive in the shade.

In the long run they are cheaper. It is just a matter of time before the soft top has to be replaced. Barring some bad luck the hard top is good for the life of the vehicle. A lot easier to see out of clear glass than the distorted views through plastic, especially at night in the rain. Or after a few years of use when they turn yellow or covered in scratches.

Security isn't really a concern. Between family members we've had several vehicles broken into over the years. All had hard tops and the thieves did more damage to the vehicle than the items they stole were worth. I just keep the Jeep unlocked and nothing of value in it. I've had a cheap knife and cheap pair of binoculars taken from it, but no damage.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Is there a soft top that allows you to use the freedom front panels and still cover the rear? Just thought it would be a great choice for a hard top user to remove the rear top and be able to cover quickly.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I had both on my TJ. Really liked the hard top for winters - wiper and defogger. Hated getting in and out of the back with the soft top on. I got the hardtop only when I ordered my JK for the winters, already had the roof hoist in the garage from the JK (took a little McGuyvering to fit the top) and once I take it off in June, I don't have to put it back on until August. I did get an emergency top, windjammer and canvas doors for the spring and fall.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Same here cargo can be a pain in the ass but I also have no problem with it in the winter. Heater works great!!

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I had a soft top on my GTA 1967 Mustang. It was fun. But, my hard top is much quieter and a ton of fun to remove with my bikini top. After experiencing both, the hard top is awesome. With a hard top, you have the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I have both and honestly - here in California having just a soft top would be enough. I'm putting hard top on in November and take it off in March.
The thing is than from the pure economic perspective hard top is usually a way better deal - new jeep with hard top is not that much more expensive while getting a used soft top from Craigslist is usually cheap and easy.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
The soft top offers a lot more flexibility but the hard top has 2 distinct advantages: Security and fast access to the cargo area. If those two things aren't that important to you then the soft top is the way to go.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts