Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as I crawling near to decision making time on whether or not to fork over the bread to buy a hardtop my decision was made more difficult. Apparently my local Jeep dealership parts & service store phased out JK hardtops in favor of the JL series...so my '13 JK 2 Door has but very little options. Quadratec here in West Chester, PA sells hardtops for about $2700 + shipping...they do not offer installation for whatever reason. So to my next question...since I limited with help for a DIY kind of installation, how much would my local mechanic or auto body shop or whatever type of place charge for an installation service?

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
Buy a used one in Craigslist for $1500 or less.

The hardtop itself just sits in place and gets bolted down with Allen bolts. You don't need a mechanic, just a couple of people to move it into place.

Only thing you'd need a mechanic for is if you're running power and fluid to the rear wiper and washer nozzle.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
I agree. I have seen several for sale around here for short money. Need either a lifting device or a few good buddies to help place the new hard top on your Jeep.

IIRC my local dealer charges $500 to swap out a soft top for a hard top and vice versa. Not sure how that changes if doing this for the first time as I don't know what is required the first time. If they have to drill holes for bolts then I would think it would be more money.

It shouldn't be that complicated and if you have DIY capability, I would not hesitate to do it yourself.

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
I agree. I have seen several for sale around here for short money. Need either a lifting device or a few good buddies to help place the new hard top on your Jeep.

IIRC my local dealer charges $500 to swap out a soft top for a hard top and vice versa. Not sure how that changes if doing this for the first time as I don't know what is required the first time. If they have to drill holes for bolts then I would think it would be more money.

It shouldn't be that complicated and if you have DIY capability, I would not hesitate to do it yourself.
All the holes should already be in place. Other than the wiper/fluid, it's just set it in place and Bolt down.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
I got mine of off CL for 1600 bucks.
Complete with all needed clip nuts and bolts.
I drove an hour to the guys house, removed my Trektop NX, he and I set it on and in half an hour, I was on my way home.
I did not install wiper/defroster wiring. Did not see the need as can't see through tire anyway!

Reactions: Casca63

·
Registered
897 Posts
If you buy used without hardware, you'll need six of these "nuts" that clip to the underside of the rail on the body:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LYE58LT/

And instead of torx/allen bolts, these T-handle bolts are easier and double as bungee tie-downs:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BFH6119/

The bolts come with simple square nuts so technically you could skip the clip-ons, but the underside of the rail is a minor hassle to access up front (on a 2-door at least), it's nicer to have the nuts always in place.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hmm, I purchased mine from Videon not too far from you. It wasn't in stock; they had to order it. I don't see why any dealer couldn't order. Anyway when it arrived at the dealer I removed my soft top at home and installed the hardtop in the dealer parking lot. One of the dealership guys helped me lift it on. The rest was easy. I picked up the kit for the wiper washer and dealt with that later. I did look around for a used one, but couldn't find one in good shape, got impatient and ordered from the dealer.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
I just looked on Craig's List for JK hardtops and found several available in PA. Several are in the Philadelphia area which should be near you and seem to be asking around $1,500. One was advertised as a Freedom Top, (which I have on my Jeep) and are neat because you can remove the two front panels, get direct sunlight and air in but still be able to throw the tops back on should the weather change unexpectedly.

Since you are near NJ, you could also check southern NJ for ones close by.

This should cut your cost down by half and allow you to spend the rest on other mods that all we Jeep nuts want to add to their Jeeps. :bop:

·
Registered
897 Posts
Saw a new gloss-black one on FB from somewhere in IL for just $1200, the deals are out there!

Reactions: gravitywell

·
Registered
520 Posts
Purchased my 2-door in the Northeast for $1,000

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
I've seriously been considering selling mine for $1500. From a 2 door no less.

I just can't quite make the commitment, and I'm concerned about missing it in the winter months.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I love my hard top, but I love my soft top!
Compared to a soft top, its like driving a completely different vehicle. It is like getting a new truck every 5-6 months basically switching back n forth.

I wouldn't even bother hooking up the electrics either unless you can get a deal on it, I occasional use the defroster, never use the wiper.

I'll probably put my hard top on in early dec and keep it on through mid march.

Reactions: JasonMG

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've never had the money to use this site but I've always wanted to. They sell salvaged jeeps. If I had more property I'd love to buy a few and part them out. Again, I've never used it but some of the starting prices on these are DIRT cheap.

https://erepairables.com/salvage-cars-auction/jeep/wrangler/united-states/pennsylvania

Also, on my old CJ I used to take my hard top off and put it back on all by myself. It's not easy, but the top isn't really that heavy, just awkward, particularly to put it down. I'd suggest at least having saw horses you can set it on.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Today's your lucky day. 4WP has $100 off $1000 deal so you can get your top for $200 less. Have it delivered to the store for free and they can help you slap it on as previously noted.

Ugh, TopLiftPro just had a 25% off coupon expire end of September.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Shopping for my first Wrangler, leaning towards 2-door. I live in MN so assuming I need a hard top for winter, and I want the soft for summer. Anybody know how they hold heat in the winter? It gets cooold here! Also would a friend and I be able to take 2-door hard top off without too much trouble? Thanks for any info

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Shopping for my first Wrangler, leaning towards 2-door. I live in MN so assuming I need a hard top for winter, and I want the soft for summer. Anybody know how they hold heat in the winter? It gets cooold here! Also would a friend and I be able to take 2-door hard top off without too much trouble? Thanks for any info

Two people can take a top off no problem. As for the cold, the heater works great so no issues. It will keep you nice and toasty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
Two people with moderate strength can move the 2 door soft top, just did it yesterday with a bud. They're more awkward than heavy.

I have dual tops, and while the hard top seems to retain more heat... It's not great. The heater in the JK is awesome though, you'll warm up quick. Also, you can get thermal pads / headliners for the hard top to help insulate a bit more.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts