Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After drying out my carpets which got wet during 2 days of heavy rain, I started looking for the source of my leak.

My 03 Sport came with both factory tops, and I put the hardtop on recently for winter.

I located a small gap on the right rear corner of the top (above the tailgate hinges) which is 1/4" or less. Looking from the inside out, I can see daylight. I loosened everything, lifted top and re-seated it. Gap is still there. Seal looks fine, though I ordered a new hardtop seal to be safe.
Apparently : 1) my hardtop has a slight warp to it or 2) the body tub sits slightly lower on the right side compared to the left.

My thought is I get a small piece of foam and double it up to fill in the gap on the right side. Should I just double the foam strip where needed or do all of it on both sides?

Any thoughts? Thanks.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'd look to see if that one side of your tub is bent downward a little bit along the top edge. You could grab that edge and bend it back up right there with a pair of pliers wrapped in electrical tape to protect the tub's finish.

Otherwise, double up on the one side only and only at the gap. Don't want to put any extra stress on the top's mounting area.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts