Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a hardtop for my '06 TJ, and was browsing Collins Brother's website, and noticed that they showed hardtops for '97-02 and 03-06. Is there a difference, other than the vents on the rear sides? Will the 97-02 models fit the later models? I found one locally on CL for an '02, but need to know if it'll fit. Thanks

·
Registered
424 Posts

·
Knows a couple things...
49,637 Posts
The only real difference is whether or not it has vents. 2002 and older have a pair of vents on the rear corners, 2003 and newer do not. 2003 and newer TJs moved the vents to the tailgate.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's what I thought. I knew the only visual difference was the vents. I just wanted to make sure, before I laid out the $$$ on an older model top. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have a 98TJ an put a non vent top, one the electrical plug for the defrost and wiper are different, and when i run the blower fan at high speed I get a noise from the air trying to escape.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One more thing, am I right that the OEM soft top channels are spot welded to the body? I suppose you can just drill the welds out to remove the channels? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
You shouldn't need to. I had a factory soft top and I bought a hard top and just put it on. It fit fine no leaks no fuss just bolted right up!

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Slater451 said:
You shouldn't need to. I had a factory soft top and I bought a hard top and just put it on. It fit fine no leaks no fuss just bolted right up!
Oh and I put an 01 top on an 06. Not problems. Exept the wiring. But I just didn't bother to hook it up!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cool! I was wondering about that.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh and I put an 01 top on an 06. Not problems. Exept the wiring. But I just didn't bother to hook it up!
I probably won't, either.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Yeah you'll be ok!!! And remember to take off your plastic door surrounds and the brackets that hold the soft back window too the tub. Or else your hard top glass won't shut

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, once I get a hard top and doors, I'll be getting rid of all the ST hardware. Thats why I was wondering about the channels, but if I don't have to remove them, I probably won't.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
2 piece. I'm planning on keeping the lowers for when the top's off.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts