Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

My 2014 Willys came with dual tops. Been noticing those plastic shims that are between the jeep and the hardtop at each fastener. They were initially between the foam tape and the top but over time, looks like they are being squeezed inwards.

The holes have been elongated and no longer stay stuck to the top via the double sided tape. They fall off when I take the top off now in the spring when going to softop mode. This said, means the top is sitting slightly lower every year.

Anyway, should I look for replacement shims as these are getting badly deformed or just chuck them?

Em....

·
Premium Member
2,103 Posts
Do you have a picture of these shims.
I had the dual top on my 14 and I have it on my 18.
I am not sure what you mean by shims.

Reactions: Em52

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I keep mine on. Sometimes i have to tap them back into place. Why would you remove them?
That's why I asked... woundering if they are really needed. After each season of swapping the tops, they are getting deformed.

Appreciare the feedback, thanks!

Em...

·
Registered
92 Posts
The top I just picked up from a 2018 w dual top option has these shims.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
925 Posts
So these spacers or shims are mormal?
I do not know. But my gut feeling tells me they are not normal. What would be their purpose anyway?

If anything, they create an undue pressure/stress point as well as an opportunity for a leak.

MAYBE they are some sort of storage cover part from a time prior to production or an installation assist part and then at assembly some line worker may have left them on not knowing better.

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
dual top here, no shims.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just in the few replies, there are inconsistencies with these shims?

Hoping more will reply and hopuffly figure out their purpose, if any?

Thanks...

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Our '15 has them under the weather seal but I never noticed them until I read this thread. In my defense, I've only taken the top off once and the top has been hanging up in the garage for three years since then. They look like stiffeners to me, something to keep the top from developing spider cracks around the bolt holes. And seeing that they are glued between the top's base flange and the weather seal, I'd say that they are supposed to be there forever.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts