Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who live in a house with garage or have a hoist installed, removing/storing your hardtop shouldn't be a problem. I live in a condo with an underground parking lot.... concrete everywhere and the ceiling is twice as high as a normal room. Since i live by myself, removing and storing the top is a looooooot of work. Any suggestions what i can do?

OH and dont tell me to just leave it off, i tried that, got rained on couple times. looked like an idiot.:facepalm:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Oh boy that's a tough one. Do you have a friends house or relatives house you could leave it at? How about renting a storage space?

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Sell it and buy a soft top. :thumb:

·
Registered
798 Posts
Sell it on CL. Get 1800. You now have mod money. Or gas is covered for the immediate future. You don't need it!

·
Registered
105 Posts
For those who live in a house with garage or have a hoist installed, removing/storing your hardtop shouldn't be a problem. I live in a condo with an underground parking lot.... concrete everywhere and the ceiling is twice as high as a normal room. Since i live by myself, removing and storing the top is a looooooot of work. Any suggestions what i can do?

OH and dont tell me to just leave it off, i tried that, got rained on couple times. looked like an idiot.:facepalm:
Do you have a dedicated, assigned or owned parking space? If so, you can probably mount wood to the concrete ceiling and then mount a lift to the wood.

I have a concrete ceiling in my condo garage and mounted 2x4's and attached a Racor lift to the 2x4's. Although my ceiling is only 10' or so, the Racor has enough cable to travel 8 feet and may suit your needs. I use cargo straps attached to the lift platform and gutter hooks to lift my top and still have storage space on the lift platform. It holds 250 lbs; a 2-door JK top weighs about 95 lbs. Only regret is that I should have used 2x6's to leave extra room on the wood to adjust the position of the lift braces.

Do a search here on hardtop lifts - you may find a better solution because these guys are smart and willing to share info. Good luck!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you have a dedicated, assigned or owned parking space? If so, you can probably mount wood to the concrete ceiling and then mount a lift to the wood.

I have a concrete ceiling in my condo garage and mounted 2x4's and attached a Racor lift to the 2x4's. Although my ceiling is only 10' or so, the Racor has enough cable to travel 8 feet and may suit your needs. I use cargo straps attached to the lift platform and gutter hooks to lift my top and still have storage space on the lift platform. It holds 250 lbs; a 2-door JK top weighs about 95 lbs. Only regret is that I should have used 2x6's to leave extra room on the wood to adjust the position of the lift braces.

Do a search here on hardtop lifts - you may find a better solution because these guys are smart and willing to share info. Good luck!
The problem with my parking garage is, the ceiling is ridiculously high..... and i doubt the management team will allow me to do that.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
what if, i customize a roll-able frame rack, that can go over the roof, lift it, and roll it away??? Maybe ill make a drawing of it and show it to y'all haha

·
Registered
278 Posts
bobowrangler said:
what if, i customize a roll-able frame rack, that can go over the roof, lift it, and roll it away??? Maybe ill make a drawing of it and show it to y'all haha
But then where are you going to put it Inspector Gadget?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Anybody know the weight of a 4 door hardtop? How much do the 2 front panels weigh? Do you remove them when storing the top to cut down on weight? Sorry to jackknife your thread.
Could you build a framework out of 2 x 4's, and use that to lift the top.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Why not just rent out some storage space for the spring/summer seasons?

·
Registered
771 Posts
1. Check with your dealer (or any others), if they store them. Mine does, for 15$/month. They'll take it off, stick it up on a rack for the season, put it on at the end. Very reasonable.

2. If you have a two door, and regular size parking space, fit it sideways against the wall of your spot if you have a wall spot. Cover it up with a 4 dollar tarp, no one will know what it is, an even so, there should be cameras in your garage.

3. Many years ago, I walked off my JY hard top on my back. If you're young and strong these new ones minus the panels should be even lighter. Get a solid step a the back walk in center your self stand up slightly and walk out. Nothing more than squats with 180 lbs on your back. :thumb:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
1. Check with your dealer (or any others), if they store them. Mine does, for 15$/month. They'll take it off, stick it up on a rack for the season, put it on at the end. Very reasonable.

2. If you have a two door, and regular size parking space, fit it sideways against the wall of your spot if you have a wall spot. Cover it up with a 4 dollar tarp, no one will know what it is, an even so, there should be cameras in your garage.

3. Many years ago, I walked off my JY hard top on my back. If you're young and strong these new ones minus the panels should be even lighter. Get a solid step a the back walk in center your self stand up slightly and walk out. Nothing more than squats with 180 lbs on your back. :thumb:
I have no problem storing it actually. I should give it a try :thumb:

·
Really liking the Jeep...
1,956 Posts
Build a hoist on wheels high enough for the hard top to go over your Jeep, but skinny enough to fit in your parking space. Hoist the top up and leave it there, parking beneath it, or rolling it out of the way to park then rolling it over the parked Jeep.
No permanent installation and it only takes the footprint of your parking space.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
strider_mt2k said:
Build a hoist on wheels high enough for the hard top to go over your Jeep, but skinny enough to fit in your parking space. Hoist the top up and leave it there, parking beneath it, or rolling it out of the way to park then rolling it over the parked Jeep.
No permanent installation and it only takes the footprint of your parking space.
that's exactly what I'm thinking. Doing my design :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
positrak said:

I did this a couple of times with out the step. Extremely hard. Now I want to try again wit the step but wait! I don't need to, just bought a soft top! :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts