Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently installed a hardtop on my 2013 JK Sport and do NOT like the wiper mount and defrost. Trying to find a plain replacement window. Does anyone know if such an animal exists??

·
Registered
114 Posts
Stop by your local glass/window shop and see what they say. Might look into polycarbonate/acrylic options as well. I have no use for the rear wiper either and plan on removing mine and just plugging the holes until I figure something else out.

Reactions: tomthbomb

·
Registered
37 Posts
Jeep Wrangler swing gate mounted rear window
Last year I purchased a 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara with a factory black soft top. I had a Rough Country “spice” convertible top installed to coordinate with the dark green exterior and saddle leather interior colors. I was not happy with the limited access afforded by OEM/Aftermarket fixed zip in rear window/hold down bar systems. A Google search did not reveal any commercially available rear swing gate mounted windows. Being familiar with the 50s-60s sport car roadster Plexiglas door windows, I designed and had fabricated the ideal rear window (photos attached) for the Jeep Wrangler. The window makes convertible tops much more convenient for all Wranglers.

The locking post hinges allow for adjustment to match the rear rake angle of any particular top, while facilitating folding the posts for compact storage. Installation is strait forward; involving mounting the 2 brackets to the top bar of the swing gate with stainless self-tapping screws and trimming the Plexiglas to fit the individual top rear opening. The bracket attached toggle clamps prevent rattling and permit the almost instantaneous mounting and removal of the window without tools or lose parts.

This window will greatly increase the utility and demand for Wrangler soft tops buy providing a more convenient rear access than the expensive optional removable hard top that results in having 2 rear doors. However, the window can be easily adapted to provide improved rear access to factory hard tops as well.

Attached Thumbnails

·
Registered
16 Posts
Jeep Wrangler swing gate mounted rear window
Last year I purchased a 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara with a factory black soft top. I had a Rough Country “spice” convertible top installed to coordinate with the dark green exterior and saddle leather interior colors. I was not happy with the limited access afforded by OEM/Aftermarket fixed zip in rear window/hold down bar systems. A Google search did not reveal any commercially available rear swing gate mounted windows. Being familiar with the 50s-60s sport car roadster Plexiglas door windows, I designed and had fabricated the ideal rear window (photos attached) for the Jeep Wrangler. The window makes convertible tops much more convenient for all Wranglers.

The locking post hinges allow for adjustment to match the rear rake angle of any particular top, while facilitating folding the posts for compact storage. Installation is strait forward; involving mounting the 2 brackets to the top bar of the swing gate with stainless self-tapping screws and trimming the Plexiglas to fit the individual top rear opening. The bracket attached toggle clamps prevent rattling and permit the almost instantaneous mounting and removal of the window without tools or lose parts.

This window will greatly increase the utility and demand for Wrangler soft tops buy providing a more convenient rear access than the expensive optional removable hard top that results in having 2 rear doors. However, the window can be easily adapted to provide improved rear access to factory hard tops as well.

Attached Thumbnails
What a great mod! Where did you find the brackets? I would like to do something similar...

·
dirt road inspector
3,005 Posts
Stop by your local glass/window shop and see what they say. Might look into polycarbonate/acrylic options as well. I have no use for the rear wiper either and plan on removing mine and just plugging the holes until I figure something else out.
Let us know how this worked out. The rear window is one big blind spot and I have never used the rear wiper. Most that I have seen that do use it just scratched the glass.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Because the liftgate glass is curved in both directions, what most glass/window shops will probably say is "Sorry, we don't do custom curved tempered glass." If they can make something custom, expect it to cost a lot.

Polycarbonate/acrylic options might be easier to do, but still a form will be needed to bend the plastic to the proper curves so it will seal well enough to the hardtop hatch opening to keep the weather out.

I did something custom with mine; it doesn't use the factory liftgate glass and the wiper mounts on the bottom rather than the top so the wiper motor doesn't obstruct the view.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts