Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I was trying to put my hardtop on this morning and unfortunately my hoist gave way at about 5 1/2 feet. My top fell and my windows survived but unfortunately the rear corner got busted up. The fiberglass is still there but its crumbled. My question for y'all is has anyone ever repaired this kind of problem? What did you do to fix it? Thanks in advance for the advice!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Hey guys I was trying to put my hardtop on this morning and unfortunately my hoist gave way at about 5 1/2 feet. My top fell and my windows survived but unfortunately the rear corner got busted up. The fiberglass is still there but its crumbled. My question for y'all is has anyone ever repaired this kind of problem? What did you do to fix it? Thanks in advance for the advice!
I have repaired a few hardtops. I believe it is actually SMC (sheet molded compound). The polyester resin you find in the auto stores will not adhere properly to the SMC due to the release agents used in the process. You need to find some epoxy resin like the kind they sell in boat store like West Marine in order to get the fiberglass material to bond with the SMC..

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
I have repaired a few hardtops. I believe it is actually SMC (sheet molded compound). The polyester resin you find in the auto stores will not adhere properly to the SMC due to the release agents used in the process. You need to find some epoxy resin like the kind they sell in boat store like West Marine in order to get the fiberglass material to bond with the SMC..
x2 on it not being "regular fiber glass"--had issues on the '94 YJ I had never did get it fixed "quite right". Might consider a marine/ boat body repair shop? IDK just a suggestion. But by the time you pay a shop to fix might be ahead to get a used hard top or new soft top.......?

Good Luck!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts