Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the side window on my hardtop a few years ago. A small section of it has become unsealed from the top and is now leaking. I think this was caused by how I stored my top all summer (in the sun) and the top was slightly twisted since the storage rack I built had shifted a little.

I can push the glass back in to the top by hand.

I was thinking I could heat it up and push a little more 3M glass adhesive into the gap then apply just enough pressure to the glass to hold it in place until it sets up.

I put the top onto my Jeep about a month ago and noticed the loose part of the glass. Haven't driven it since.

Can I add more adhesive in between the glass and old adhesive? Will it work?

·
Super Moderator
12,716 Posts
If your hard top windows are like mine, I think you should pull the window completely out, clean the glass and glass recess in the topper and use windshield urethane to reinstall the glass. You should replace the rubber molding and clip at the same time.

When I state clean the glass and glass recess, I mean remove all the old adhesive off the glass and all the old adhesive that you used when you did the current installation from the window recess.
If part of the current adhesive is failing, one can guess that the rest will fail sooner or later. Whatever adhesive you used wasn't the correct adhesive. Quality windshield urethane isn't affected by sunlight or atmospheric heat. The urethane bond can be broken with an induction heater but not by temperatures normally experienced by automobiles.
Many home repairmen use piano wire to cut the glass out as do some professional glass installers. That said, most glass installers use a special knife from inside the vehicle to cut the adhesive. I prefer the piano wire because it's usually used from the outside. On my YJ, I have the sport style roll bar and it's right in the way to remove the hard top windows from inside the vehicle.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks LM. I used 3M Auto Glass Urethane Windshield Adhesive. Being that it was the first time I ever put a window in, I'll assume I didn't get a good bond from the start. Getting glass to stay put on a vertical surface is a challenge for the un-trained.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts