Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

first sorry 4 my english , its not my native language but i will give it a try.
When u got the softtop on and want to switch to hardtop, do u have to remove the (list) between the body and softtop or can u leave it ?
Just bought the car so im a newbie.
Reason why i ask is that i will get a new paint on and are concerned about scratching it .
Hope u understand what i mean.

TX in advance

·
Super Moderator
53,781 Posts
(list) what do u mean by this?

Pretty much everything is to be removed
When installing the hard top. U can leave the brackets or the things on the side roll bar (sport bar) and the seal across the front window.

My main ?.... I hope your not switching over now :)

Never ever ever ever.... ever call your jeep a car :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dont know the word for it , its the metal plates that u use to fit the softtop to the body back at the car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Havent yet mounted my softtop but when i was unpacking it i found this metal plates which i think will fit on the body all around back and the sides for the softtop to attach aginst the body.
Two on the sides and 2 in the corners and one back.

·
Super Moderator
53,781 Posts
Gizmo69 said:
Havent yet mounted my softtop but when i was unpacking it i found this metal plates which i think will fit on the body all around back and the sides for the softtop to attach aginst the body.
Two on the sides and 2 in the corners and one back.
Yes, the bottom of the soft top has plastic strips. When mounted the plastic strip presses into those rails your talking about.
I forget how they attach but use the same holes as the hardtop uses. Only drilling you might have to do is those two brackets I pictured. Those are for the back for the tailgate bar (attaches to bottom of window) and the plastic strips to tuck into.

The jeep Tj does not have the rails the slots are built into the body. But both still use the brackets in the back.

Ken

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
I am a little confused (what else is new) but think we need to know what year your jeep is to be able to help? I don't understand the 'metal plates that go around the back' maybe header bar? can you post any pics?

·
Registered
844 Posts
Two plates on the sides of the tailgate?

These?

If so... No, take them off :)
I have an 03 Rubicon, hardtop and softop...and you DO NOT take off those brackets (they hold the 'rail' for the rear window on the soft top).
So definitely, we need to know the year and model of your jeep to tell you what you need to do!

·
Super Moderator
53,781 Posts
jp2611 said:
I am a little confused (what else is new) but think we need to know what year your jeep is to be able to help? I don't understand the 'metal plates that go around the back' maybe header bar? can you post any pics?
He/she has a YJ. They have metal rails for the top to tuck into. The Tj does not. Built into the body :)

·
Super Moderator
53,781 Posts
NHrubicon said:
I have an 03 Rubicon, hardtop and softop...and you DO NOT take off those brackets (they hold the 'rail' for the rear window on the soft top).
So definitely, we need to know the year and model of your jeep to tell you what you need to do!
He confused me at first. I thought he was using is hard top.

He said "switch to hardtop" but he meant the other way around :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can u leave these metal plates on the body when u switch to hardtop or do u have to remove them?

tx for all answer

·
Registered
169 Posts
If I were to want to put a hard top back on my YJ (which I don't) I would have all the brackets and stuff to remove so my hard top would fit again. I just made the switch to soft top and I ain't going back.....

·
Registered
169 Posts
Gizmo, you need to remove them.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
I thought it was a YJ thread and wanted to make sure before I bailed trying to help- as OP said English was not native language. I had a Yj but only used hard top and bikini top.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
sorry guys if i confuse u, little hard for me to explain in english.
The reason i ask of this is because if i could leave the metal plates for the softtop when i change to hardtop, and the hardtop still fits it would protect my (soon) painted body.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/14070_9301_07.htm

In one of this pictures u see the metal plates im talking about

Wouldnt it be some kind of protection between hardtop and the body?
anybody follow?

·
Super Moderator
53,781 Posts
These?

Those need to come off for the hard top

BUT: there is a seal that protects the body like you want, I think. If Quadratec does not have it check Mopar, maybe the factory does.

If I recall when I owned my Yj... I used weather stripping form Home Depot, and I punched holes in it so the bolts will go through.

I use 4 C clamps of to hold down my top in the winter. I don't like messing with those stupid bolts :)

Ill look around for you :)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts