Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put a nice 5-6 inch scratch in the hardtop on side under window,
Figured id try a can of the mopar touch up spay paint for hard top-rxf paint code.

Recieved spray from dealer, cleaned area, masked windows flares etc to avoid overspray.

End result very disappointing the stuff in the mopar can dried way duller and grayer than the factory color on hardtop. It lacks the sheen that our flat black tops have. Thought i may have got a bad can, so ordered two more from an online vender- applied- same out come.

Hoping someone here could chime in, anyone have similar exeriences?
Any help? The resprayed area can clearly be seen and does not match the hard top- which is only a year old, the scratch is now gone, and i only applied a light coat to avoid a mess!

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Seamlessly spraying a patch of paint is a difficult job even if the pain matches perfectly.

A Sharpie or Testors Paint pen is a better option for a scratch on the top.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Satin Black

Might try using Satin Black by Rust-OLeum. I painted the inside tops of my Freedom Panels. And I'm pretty sure its what I will use to paint the Hard Top when it starts to fade. I recommend Soap and Water to clean the area and blow dry only. Painting the inside really cuts down on the day time glare and night light reflections.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks johnp,
Went to the depot this evening, purchased a can o rusto satin black,
Few light coats, faded in, judging by non fully dried result, the satin still appares to be too greyish/whiter than our stock finish.
Also seems the texture is too soft/ smooth.
Might take it off tomorrow and go with a semi gloss, also saw a rusto- textured finish satin black at depot might try my luck with that

·
Registered
783 Posts
Thanks johnp,
Few light coats, faded in, judging by non fully dried result, the satin still appares to be too greyish/whiter than our stock finish.
Might take it off tomorrow and go with a semi gloss, also saw a rusto- textured finish satin black at depot might try my luck with that
Are you painting in the hot sun. Either that or something wrong with your eyes. Satin paint is black and there is NO Grey about it.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Thanks johnp,
I had only some small nicks, but the Rustoleum semi gloss black matched pretty well IMO.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts