Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to switch to a soft top on my 2012 2 door JK. My question is how much can I get for a factory hardtop in perfect condition?(less than 8k miles on it). I have looked up the values of aftermarket tops, but mine is a Mopar "Freedom 3-piece" that is factory painted.(bright silver metallic). I cant really find one similar for sale. All I know is the smittybilt etc. tops are selling for 2k. Can I get 2k for a Mopar top?

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
i think the painted ones are harder to sell because it limits your buyers. i bought my hardtop for an unlimited for 1500 and later had it painted to match.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I paid $1200 for mine. It was on a 2012 for one winter & then sat in a garage for 2 years. It was dirty & a few minor scratches, but otherwise decent shape.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Hard tops are going for $800-1600 around here. I sold one for $1500 but it was MINT.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
I tend to agree with the majority of the posts on here....maybe this will help perspective. Most people that MIGHT want a HT have a St already.....and for $2K you can do a lot of "other mods". When most people feel the need for a HT it is coming into the Holidays..so cash is tight, and lastly as mentioned yours is painted the body color.

Good Luck with the sale.....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies, This one is in "mint" condition also. The Jeep is garage kept. I guess yall are right about limited buyers due to the color. I am going to ask $1800 obo. If it doesnt bring more than $1500. Ill just keep it. My other Jeep is a ST and so were the other 4 Wranglers I have had. I dont dig all the hassle of removing the HT.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Mine is also a bright silver...MINT...off my four door. I have it listed for 1,400. Had a couple 1,200 offers, and a low baller. A couple were from guys that we're going to repaint to match their jeep. I think the prep work on a standard top is pretty labor intensive to get it smooth because of the textured surface.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I think you should reconsider selling the HT. At resale you'll be glad you kept it.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Sold mine off 2012 2dr Factory Mopar for $1300 wish I had kept it now never had it off for over a year sold it put ST on and it is down at least 2-3xs a week but at the holidays or in the winter Ill regret it ?????????????????????????

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Sold mine off 2012 2dr Factory Mopar for $1300 wish I had kept it now never had it off for over a year sold it put ST on and it is down at least 2-3xs a week but at the holidays or in the winter Ill regret it ?????????????????????????
Absolutely, for the amount I am actually going to have my top off I didn't bother with ST. Dealer wanted $1200 on top of my purchase(got the painted HT) and I would rather spend $600 and get a frameless/bikini top for those rare occasions.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I just sold mine a few weeks ago for $1,250....had it listed for $1,400 & had several inquiries, but sold it to the first guy that actually showed up. Mine was the flat black one, though. I'm also wondering if I'm going to regret it or not. I currently have the Trextop NX which I really like, but I'm not sure how it'll hold up to our harsh Michigan winters (especially this past one!). Ah well, what's done is done.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I guess it boils down to : your hard top is worth as much you can get someone to pay for it. Being color-matched, a bit more difficult. I listed my freedom hard top (4door) on CL for $1250. People were low-ballin the crap outta me left and right. Eventually, I settled on meeting someone 30 mins from my house for $960. Last minute, someone called and said they would drive an hour out of their way and pick it up from my front lawn AND give me $1250 for it, if I hold on to it. Lucky me! $1250 richer. Good luck

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
I just sold mine a few weeks ago for $1,250....had it listed for $1,400 & had several inquiries, but sold it to the first guy that actually showed up. Mine was the flat black one, though. I'm also wondering if I'm going to regret it or not. I currently have the Trextop NX which I really like, but I'm not sure how it'll hold up to our harsh Michigan winters (especially this past one!). Ah well, what's done is done.
IMO you will be allright as long as you use a little common sense...don't hit the plastic windows or use a snow brush on them...if they really need cleaned off use your gloved hand to GENTLY brush the snow off. (This should apply to all plastic/ softop windows on any vehicle.)
If you can get it into a garage at night do so. It won't be a whole lot warmer but the heat inside the Jeep and the heat from the motor will go a long way in helping your JEEP from becoming an ice buggy in the winter. DO use a SNOW brush or BROOM or even an extension "CAR WASH" brush (the type you hook to your hose) to sweep off the Fabric top. This will keep the snow from melting and refreezing into ice on your top.

I have had my Frameless NX for 2 IN. winters...I know not quite the same, but we had a rough one down here last year...-15° F and as much as 9" snow stacked on it at one time. It is still working great, and other than allowing more than the "normal" 15 seconds to warm up, I didn't do anything different......The TJ has to sit outside as it is the "oldest" Jeep around here.....Good LUCK!!

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I know some people regret selling their hardtops, but I'm not one of those people. I have owned 5 Jeeps, and I hate HTs. I live in the south where it is nice warm weather about 8 months out of the year and my top stays down from March to September. unless it rains.That is why I prefer the ST. I can simply fold it down and throw it back up if a rain shower blows through. I do agree that I might just need to keep it, because I am definately not going to give it away on the cheap. I guess I will just have to dedicate a corner of my garage to HT storage....ughh I hate hardtops.

·
Registered
56 Posts
On the other end of the spectrum, I have the dual top group and a hoist in my garage. I no longer see the need for my soft top. What is the soft top worth?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts