Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone sell a hardtop and regret it?
I am considering selling my hardtop and buying a bestop.
This is my fourth Wrangler and the first hardtop.
It definitely has its advantages in the winter.
But I’ve always made it fine with soft tops before.
I like the ability to put my top up/down/off by myself and not having to call the neighbors when it’s time to take it off or put it on.
If we decide to sell, any ideas on what it’s worth? It’s in great, but not perfect, shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: steves92

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
I’m kind of in the same boat-I have a soft top yj and just picked up a hardtop LJ last summer. The hard top is still on. It has AC so part of me is thinking it’s nice to turn on in CA. I am contemplating taking the top off but like the better security with it, not that I have any valuables in it. I’m kind of torn. Can you keep the hardtop and store it until you really think you won’t want it? You could probably get $1000 for it, or close to it. At least that’s what they go for around here in northern CA.

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
Hard tops suck i have never regretted getting rid of one. I like full hard doors though but i hate the weight of them. Having zippered drivers windows also sucks though. When the zippers get bad enough you have to replace the skins and they ain't cheap.

Jeep's shouldn't be driven in the winter anyways if you live in an area that salts roads. I live in the salt belt so i park my jeep when it gets cold and get it back out in the spring.

Reactions: Instructor9

·
Registered
92 Posts
Picked up an 88 with a hard top and hard upper windows.

Made the Jeep look like a mail truck.

Sold the top and upper windows and ordered a Bestop Supertop. I doubt I'll ever regret letting the hard top go.

(I live in the north, near Canada. It gets down well below zero, and I've driven my YJs all winter long without an issue.)

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
3,924 Posts
I bought a second YJ (Sahara trim hardtop) so I could have one of each. Partly so I could have something to work on for hobby's sake, and partly for the 3 days a year it rains and I want to stay dry. Outfitted similarly, I prefer driving the topless Laredo, it just seems more "Jeepy". But I would think you could get the cost of a new Supertop out of the old hardtop, but I will NEVER sell either of my Full door sets, too hard to come by decent ones these days.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Soft tops are great, but are still frustrating. I generally pull off the sides and back and leave to roof up. It’s all down now, but I only do that when the weather supports long term toplessness

I sold my hard top to pay for the soft top and wish I had kept the hardtop to have both.

However, there was a Spring before I had the soft top that I took the hard top off and reinstalled it twice.

I carry the sides and rear of my soft top with me at all times so I can at least cover most of the Jeep if weather changes on me. Had to do that once. Even with no doors I stayed fairly dry, as did the inside of my Jeep.

I miss the Hardtop, but not enough to go buy one. My Jeep looks better with a Hardtop in my opinion.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've had my Jeep for 32 years. It was a factory soft top. I always wanted a hardtop but never got one.
Until now. I bought a used one with doors and all last year. With a bit of resto work on it and is as good as new.
I love it. I will never take it off of the Jeep again. Not in my lifetime.
I told my son if he takes it off he better put it back on.
I use to take the top down when I was young but, I lost interest in that. Top hasn't been off in 20 years probably.
I would take the doors off and roll up the rear window but I never took the top down.
Don't want too.
I can do the same with the hard top. Take the doors off and even pull the rear glass if needed.
After 32 years I'm perfectly happy with my hard top. I even sold my half doors, the door upper frames and my soft top frame. Don't need them anymore.
I won't be taking this hardtop off.
To each his/her own. :cool:

·
Registered
84 Posts
I personally would keep the hardtop for resale reasons, this does require a place to store it, so if you don't have that storage place then that's another problem. I was looking to buy a used Wrangler 2dr. and surprisingly most 2dr Wranglers only have the soft top. I will say here that I purchased a new 2017 2dr Willys and I ordered it with the Premium Soft Top and I was very impressed with it, much better all way around over the factory stock soft top. So here I'm now in the process on ordering a new 2022 2dr Willys and the top for me is in question again, do I get the hardtop, or the Premium Soft Top option. I do know one thing, I do not want the factory standard soft top. Security is a problem for many and the hardtop they feel is the way to go, I guess this depends where you live and what you keep in the vehicle and is it always stored outside, for myself none of these are a concern, but something to think about.

trainman

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
My yj isn't a daily driver.
Soft top install/removal is a one hour ordeal for me.
Top and doors come off in May, go back on in Oct.
Nov and April I drive with the soft top.
Dec thru March it's stored.

That's life in New Hampshire.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Everyone is going to have an opinion and it will vary so do what you think works best for you. My YJ was a soft top model and when I got it the top was on its last legs. I wanted a hard top for the winters here in Northern California. It rains and we go up into the snow so wanted one for that reason. It’s much nicer to have the hard top on for the climate here. I won‘t freeze my ass off in the winter and stay nice and dry too. I do have have hard half upper doors and also full steel doors so I have options there.

Late spring the top comes off and the Bimini top goes on until fall. Which is perfect for our nice weather during the spring and summer months.

Now if I had all the money in the world and I did not want to do other upgrades to my YJ first, I would buy one of the frameless soft tops which would be perfect for when I want top on in the warmer months but did not want to put the hardtop on because its a pain for just a short time. Just zip in the side and back windows and away you go. That would be the perfect setup for me. Jmho .

·
Registered
17 Posts
In my mind it’s foolish to sell it, you will never get full value for it. You can use it a couple months out of the year and save wear and tear on your soft top.

·
Registered
2003 Rubicon, manual trans, Atlas transfer case, Nth Degree Mobility kit and more...
67 Posts
My big turn off for the soft top is the noise on the highway. Especially if you have a light bar above the windshield. And the AC works better with a hard top. Just my 2 cents worth. YMMV.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Love the soft top, but wearing hearing aids. It is for me annoying because of the wind giving me the noise of flutter. I put on a hard top and put the windows down until i start to get that noise. Yeah, its not the same but i can live with it for my hearing

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Live in W KY, rural area, crime isn’t a concern. Also live on a farm, several buildings/barns for storage so that’s not an issue.
I have a second vehicle so I can literally run naked from spring to fall and drive the civic when it rains or it’s 100°. It’s an 89, no AC.
However.
This is my third summer with this particular Wrangler. When I bought it it had both tops with full doors. The soft top is a Rampage and it’s not good. One of the side windows’ zipper is messed up and the rear window is so bad it’s impossible to see out of. It’s just a cheap top, I really don’t want to even put it on.
But, alas, I always find myself doing it. Both previous summers I have had the intentions of just leaving it naked and driving the civic when needed. Both summers something has happened that has made my YJ a daily driver. One year my mother’s car went down and I lent her mine while hers was being repaired. Last year my oldest son’s car was wrecked and he had to drive the civic.
When/if the YJ is turned into the DD it always seems to rain.
I really would like to keep the hardtop, but the versatility of the soft top is calling...

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
In my mind it’s foolish to sell it, you will never get full value for it.
I had 3 of them sitting in my yard at one time i got sick of mowing around them. I hate hard tops so much i would almost give them away. Hard tops around me don't seem to bring much money maybe $400 at most. Hard doors is where it starts getting expensive because they rust and hard to find in clean shape.

·
Los Angeles
1,733 Posts
I have a second vehicle so I can literally run naked from spring to fall
Please be careful when using "literally" as it tends to mean literally. And if you literally mean literally, I am scratching "Visit KY during spring to fall" off of my bucket list, forever.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
3,924 Posts
Please be careful when using "literally" as it tends to mean literally. And if you literally mean literally, I am scratching "Visit KY during spring to fall" off of my bucket list, forever.

Thanks
Thanks Jon for the visual I will not be able to get out of my head...LMAO

·
Registered
6 Posts
Anyone sell a hardtop and regret it?
I am considering selling my hardtop and buying a bestop.
This is my fourth Wrangler and the first hardtop.
It definitely has its advantages in the winter.
But I’ve always made it fine with soft tops before.
I like the ability to put my top up/down/off by myself and not having to call the neighbors when it’s time to take it off or put it on.
If we decide to sell, any ideas on what it’s worth? It’s in great, but not perfect, shape.

I have a ‘06 LJ with a factory soft top.
I have desired a hard top for some time, but having recently retiring I don’t need one now. The traveling I did when working would have made a hard top better for security reasons. Driving through some of the cities I passed through in a soft top was dicey.
Price wise, I recently replaced my factory soft top with a new best top. I chose as close to the factory as possible and that was $1000. A used LJ hardtop if you can find one is $2000.
I love the ability to take the sides and back off and get the breeze and not have the sun beating down on me.

·
Registered
98 Posts
"Opinions are free and worth what you pay for them."

Here's mine: My Jeep had a hard top and full doors when I bought it. I bought some used 1/2 doors and a Rampage frameless top (formerly the Viking top before Rampage bought them). I set up a power lift in my garage using a $60 Harbor Freight winch and can swap top and doors by myself in less than an hour. I use the soft top in the summer, and the hard top in the winter. My garage is fairly tall, so I can just let the top hang close to the ceiling when it's not on the Jeep.

So, if you have a place to store the hard top, I'd suggest keeping it. If you don't and you'd prefer to have a soft top, your decision is pretty much made for you.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Thanks
LOL!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts