Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Banned
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and go. Please explain why you like one more than the other. Thanks, Oh by the way I have a soft top buts its getting really old

·
Registered
61 Posts
i only have a soft top. i love it in the summer. but i would like to pick up a hardtop for the winter months.

·
Registered
2001 Wrangler Sport
4,645 Posts
I wanted a hard top for the look, but realized I don't need to drop the 700-1200 here for something my softop does, California winters aren't bad by comparison of other states.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have the bet of both worlds. Hard top for winter and the bikini/jammer/duster combo for the summer.

Being from the Midwest and now living in the south, the weather changes enough between seasons and day to day that it makes sense. Hard top goes on November through March then it's topless as much as possible :)

·
Registered
2001 Wrangler Sport
4,645 Posts
meili34 said:
I have the bet of both worlds. Hard top for winter and the bikini/jammer/duster combo for the summer.

Being from the Midwest and now living in the south, the weather changes enough between seasons and day to day that it makes sense. Hard top goes on November through March then it's topless as much as possible :)
I'm topless-doorless May-October here in central California, but the way this years been i can extend to about late November, it was 85 yesterday and no rain until tomorrow supposedly.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I have both and even though I live in Hawaii, I prefer the hardtop for security reasons.

·
Registered
451 Posts
My first TJ was a '97 TJ SE with a soft top. My other car was a 1978 Alfa Spider convertable. I lived in Virginia and then California, and it just did not get cold enough to put the top up, I happily drove everywhere topless, sometimes I wore a jacket and hat and gloves and ran the heater. This went on for 18 years total.

Then I was diagnosed with tinnitis from the wind noise and buffeting. The nerve damage was cumulative over a number of years and it is irreversible. The doc said I had to give up the convertibles or my hearing. I also gave up hunting because of the constant ringing noise, I wasn't any good anymore.

You are an adult, so make up your own mind about this. But I would not have a kid in an open topped vehicle without ear plugs. You could ruin their hearing forever.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I live in B.C. so we get a ton of rain so you need the top up most of the time, if im going to go topless I'll just remove it for a couple days like I did this summer. Also security reasons are a +1 for hardtop

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,432 Posts
Soft top only here, heater works good, soft top doesn't leak, we're golden.

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
I've got both soft top from about April to late October

And hard top for the rest of the year Depends when my wife starts complaining she's cold with the soft top

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
no soft top for me.

my TJ is in the garage and I can pick and choose when I drive it so there's only two ways to go: topless (May thru September) or hard top for rest of the year.

but if I didn't have this situation I'd have a soft top for sure because it is the one with the most versatility.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I didn't mind my soft top for the 6 years i had it, except for; the plastic windows, the zippers that broke after a year or so, the flapping on the highway, and the lack of security.... lol. Not having a hard top during those years made it easy to get over it because you can't miss what you've never had, but holy cow the difference is uncanny. I love my hard top and have only had it for about a month. I live in AZ though so i know when the weather starts to get better, I'll go ahead and take it off and trade it with a bikini top and cargo netting! I will never advise anyone to or personally get a soft top!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I live in the Black Hills of South Datoka, and my TJ is a softtop. I've had it for 9 years now, and our weather runs from -30F to 110F. Never had any problems with it. However, I would like to pick up a used hardtop for it sometime to use in the winters.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Considering my heater can leave blisters on my toes, I'm not too worried about getting cold. I keep the soft top in the garage when it gets below 40, just so I don't crack a window or anything. The hardtop does quiet it down a little too.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'm also a member of the dual top club.

Not much difference when it comes to security, though, because I never lock my doors. (That way, I don't have to deal with frozen locks...)

·
Registered
300 Posts
One jeep has a soft top and with the doors off and back window rolled up, its nice in the summer. My newer TJ jeep has a hard top but I have AC so its comfortable in the midwest summer. Hard top is quiet and heavy, soft top is light an noisy. On older jeeps (CJ-5) replacement soft tops do not even come close to fitting. If they do happen to fit they look like a beach towel thrown over a shrub.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Soft top. The jeep can be closed and warm to get kids to school and then take the door tops and windows off for the rest of the day. I also live in California where the temps only drop into the teens a few days a year. No leaks and I am it. In earned about security.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts