Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...so ever since I took off the front top of my 2012 unlimited I get a whistle noise when I hit 40mph and above. I know its being generated from the middle seam and not at the window (I tried putting screen piping surrounding the window as a way to rule out the windshield creating the noise). Any suggestions on how to eliminate the whistle noise? I've looked throughout the forum and haven't found an similar post with an answer.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Check the gaskets closely,correct any pinches or mis alignment... if it's whistling it's more then likely going to leak when it rains. GL

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2014 two weeks old and it is really bad at any speed over 40. It doesn't leak water but leaks air big time. I pulled my tops and adjusted the clamps and am headed on 300 mile trip tomorrow to see if it helped.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I was told that if you torque down too much on the 2 big turn screws of the freedom panels, it will cause the front of the panel to rise.causing it to whistle. Mine still whistles a little, but not as much as before. I also had the seal around the bottom of my windshield replaced so I don't know if that had anything to do with it or not.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Trev, are you having this noise with the panels on AND off?

X2 on checking your seals. Have you kept them treated, so they don't dry out?

If the noise is happening when you put the panels back in, DEFINITELY make sure your freedom bolts aren't torqued down too tight. The freedom bolts should just be finger tight. If they have been tightened down too much, take the panels out and make sure you didn't compress the seals too much and make any creases or anything. If you did, get some:

Amazon.com: einszett 914806 'Gummi Pflege Stift' Rubber Care Stick - 3.4 fl. oz: Automotive

Or:

Amazon.com: Honda Genuine Shin-Etsu Grease: Automotive

(I would NOT recommend Armor All for this job!)

Or something similar and treat all your seals and let your jeep sit with the panels out to try and allow the seals to come back to their original shape and see if that fixes the whistle. If the seals don't fill back out, I'd look at replacing them.

For what it's worth, when the panels are in correctly, they should be level and you shouldn't see any of the seals sticking up around them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is quite possible that I have too much torque. I will remove and re-seat them tomorrow and see if that helps. Thanks for the advice on the two screws, definitely not something found in the manual.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Today I took masking tape and started taping up where I thought the air was coming from. Mine was the windshield. Start with where you think the problem is and start small. When it stops you found it. Mine will be an easy fix pull windshield and reset. All under warranty.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Mine whistled after my wreck. I never use the rear bolt/screws. I took a long screwdriver and with the freedom panels off, I bent the u brackets on the Jeep down just slightly. No problems with air or water since. You could tell the tightness was back as soon as I closed the latches.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Make sure you retighten all those L shape brackets sometimes they don't get tightened well at the factory I had a leak on a brand new 2014 jeep retightned all L's problem fixed...might also have some gasket sleeve poking out because of this see if that works..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I re-seated and the whistle is still there but a not quite as loud as before. I'm going to try bending the u brackets a little to see what happens there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts