Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching the internet high and low to find an answer to my hardtop issue and can't seem to find any resolution. I purchased a 2009 JK 2 door with a soft top and added a hardtop a few months back. I purchased the wiring harness and wired it in and everything works except the rear defrost. I had the jeep flashed and still nothing. I took the jeep back thinking it was a failed flash, well, still nothing. I've sent it to 2 different shops and they all tell me it's wired correctly and they have no idea why its not working. The top I believe came off of a 2012 JK but from all the threads that I have read before purchasing the top, that shouldn't matter. I bought a wiring harness for the 2007-2010 model JK. The wiring harness for the 2011-2015 has a totally different controller in the dash that does not look like it's compatible. Any ideas???

:atomic:

·
Premium Member
2,052 Posts
Have you tested, with a multimeter? Do you have voltage at the rear connector with the switch on?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have a volt tester but I do have a light tester that does not light up when the button is pushed. When I touch the VT/WT wire at the connector in the back the radio momentarily cuts out(1-2sec) but no light turns on. I would only assume the shop guys did the volt meter test but never thought to ask.

·
Premium Member
2,052 Posts
OK, then you, or a shop, will have to work backwards to find where the circuit is not complete for the defroster. I would start with verifying the correct spot in the connector. If in the correct hole, does the input to that wire have juice? If yes then there is a break in the harness. If no then it's in the switch, maybe defective or not the right one for the application. I don't know what the compatibility between your Jeep, top, and harness is, possibly a mismatch?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have continuity from the top of the fuse(M35) in the fuse box to the connector in the back(on the DB/WT wire). There is no power(per the volt meter) to this fuse when the defrost switch is held on. The M35 fuse says it for a power mirror but I do not have power mirror. I did not see a fuse listed specifically for the rear defrost. But when I hook up the continuity tester on the volt meter to the top of that fuse which is connected to the DB/WT wire that runs all the way back to the connector its good. Now I don't know why I don't have power to that fuse.

The wire instructions are the same for the 2007-2010 and the 2011-2016.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts