Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm New to the Jeep world and happened upon a 88 Jeep Wrangler. It didn't come with a top so I picked one up from a junkyard. The top is newer 93? than the Jeep so there is no wiring for a wiper motor in the body. There is a plug on the Top which has 8 pins and also a micro switch I'm not sure if it is to turn the light on when the door is or not allow the wiper to function when the door is open? There is two spare wires with the tail light wiring, I'm assuming are for the courtesy light- pink, Black/white. The rear wiper wires and tubing I will be running up to the dash.
So, My questions are, what are each of the 8 wires for, I'm not seeing them on the schematics I've found. I'd like to test to make sure the motor works before I get to involved. Is there something else I'm not seeing that some of the wires go to?
Next would be i will need a wiper switch and a double pump washer fluid tank. What model years do I dare try to find? Wrangler or any other Jeep product. I have two spare switch slots lower right of the steering column would be nice to put the switch in. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,932 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Grizzy67,

I think you're going to be stuck doing the trial and error method.
You might find a schematic by looking for a post by Got it at last or IRQ. Each of those members have a link to Factory Service Manuals in their signature, Once you find a post by either, click on their signature to expand it, then click on the bold text Service Manuals. Then click on the FSM that matches your Jeep. The schematics are usually in the electrical troubleshooting section.

For the trial & error method, find the black wire. That should be the ground. Make a jumper to a good ground on the body then proceed to put power to each color wire to see what happens. You might want to use a fused power wire while experimenting. Keep a record of what color wire does what.
Quadratec has dual pump washer reservoirs. You will probably have to go with used for the switches.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Super Moderator
11,932 Posts
BTW, on my 1987, the plugs for the rear wiper and rear washer are in the dash harness but not the switches because my Jeep came from the factory with a soft top.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BTW, on my 1987, the plugs for the rear wiper and rear washer are in the dash harness but not the switches because my Jeep came from the factory with a soft top.

Good Luck, L.M.
Thanks Lucky,
I'll look over your post and write down the lengthy process to find the wiring schematics :) When I find a schematic I should have an idea if I have any of the switch wiring in the dash. I will definitely have to run the wiring from the rear to the dash because the only extra wirers is the pink and the Blk/White. There is very little carpet in my Jeep so it will be easy to add wiring to the plastic protection wire wrap. I bought some extra wrap just in case I needed to use a larger size especially with the washer tubing.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Not sure if it's true but i remember a guy saying he pulled a wiring harness from a YJ that was one year off from his and it did not work. So you need a manual for your year YJ or the wires will be different colors and the pin-outs are different.

Reactions: Grizzy67

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
3,410 Posts
When tracking down those wires, One may be a third brake light wire, not sure what year those started.
Here's a link for the manuals. start with '94 or '95, I don't have a '93

·
Los Angeles
1,391 Posts
I have a '93 with rear dome light and rear wiper.

My harness going to the front only has 6 wires.

I have no microswitch, nor a place that looks like it is missing a microswitch.

·
Los Angeles
1,391 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My third light is the post mounted above the spare tire, separately wired into the right stop light. The micro switch is located to the right of the connector and when the door latch of the Hardtop is closes, it activates the switch either open or closed I'm not sure. By the way my glass does not have defroster lines, just the wiper and a courtesy light

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My third light is the post mounted above the spare tire, separately wired into the right stop light. The micro switch is located to the right of the connector and when the door latch of the Hardtop is closes, it activates the switch either open or closed I'm not sure. By the way my glass does not have defroster lines, just the wiper and a courtesy light
One thing I might be fighting with is I have no idea what has been changed on original 1988 Jeep Wrangler Laredo

·
Los Angeles
1,391 Posts
Pics might be helpful.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's some pics, hope you can see what I've got. The mess of splices is where they tied into the wiring for a trailer hitch . The two extra wires are there. The micro switch is where the window latch comes in, it will push the stainless piece triggering the micro switch to either open or close. I believe tucked in the hole is the end of the washer hose. IMG_0880.JPG IMG_0876.JPG IMG_0878.JPG IMG_0877.JPG IMG_0879.JPG

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
3,410 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,932 Posts
Is there something on the other side of that micro switch that closing the glass will activate the switch? The bracket looks to be a factory made part rather than homemade.
What are those added wires for?

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is there something on the other side of that micro switch that closing the glass will activate the switch? The bracket looks to be a factory made part rather than homemade.
What are those added wires for?

Good Luck, L.M.
When you close the glass hatch the two latches go outward pushing the stainless tab connected to the micro switch. From what I can see through the opening is that there is a splice block of some sort so I would assume that the switch breaks the wire going to the light.

·
Los Angeles
1,391 Posts
My top has no microswitch.

Rear dome light is controlled will wheel dimmer next to headlight switch.

Rear wiper still works with hatch raised.

I think you have a useless POSituation.

·
Super Moderator
11,932 Posts
When you close the glass hatch the two latches go outward pushing the stainless tab connected to the micro switch. From what I can see through the opening is that there is a splice block of some sort so I would assume that the switch breaks the wire going to the light.
What that switch may do is close the circuit to the light to turn it on when the driver opens the back glass. That would make sense to illuminate the cargo area with the hatch glass open. That may explain the extra terminals on the newer hard top.
I'd contact a Jeep salvage yard and ask for a '93? or newer hard top wire loom. I wouldn't be surprised if someone has one available. Explain to them what you have and what you want to do. That seems like it'd be the simplest solution. Just plug & play.
try...
Jeeps Unlimited in Grand Junction Colorado
J&W Auto Wreckers in Antelope California
Dead Jeeps

You can always Google Jeep salvage yards

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Super Moderator
11,932 Posts
Im thinking you are looking at the spliced wires where they tied into for the hitch plug
That's what I guessed but it's always best to confirm.
Upon re-reading this thread, you might need a '94 & newer harness. Does your topper have a third brake light?

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
I get the whole keep it complete thing, but you may be better off wiring the washer as a separate circuit if you can't find a harness.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts