Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Los Angeles
1,405 Posts
And you are sure that you don't have a hardtop connector wrapped into your existing harness?
I would think that, like a/c, it would be faster and easier to make 1 harness rather than keeping track of who gets and doesn't.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I get the whole keep it complete thing, but you may be better off wiring the washer as a separate circuit if you can't find a harness.
. Im going to stop by the junkyard where I picked up the hardtop at. He’s got at least one wrangler but he has a bunch of Cherokee’s I can look for switches and relays. If his prices are good I might do some shopping.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
And you are sure that you don't have a hardtop connector wrapped into your existing harness?
I would think that, like a/c, it would be faster and easier to make 1 harness rather than keeping track of who gets and doesn't.
I wish there was a plug but they’ve cut off the connectors and made the connection with the trailer connector using those blue wire connectors. Yes it’s a mess. I can always pick up a couple set of connectors and make up my own so it looks better.

·
Registered
1989 Jeep YJ Islander
14 Posts
Hey there-I'm in the same boat. 89 YJ with a newer top. Mine had the defroster wires and wiper on the hard top. My dash only has defroster switch. What I did was to get a 12V power adaptor (1A) and just feed power to the individual pins on the hard top harness. That way, I could find what was what and label them. I'm looking to make an adaptor so I don't have to cut he wires. Going to add a simple toggle switch for the wiper and then a push button for the wash. Will use the stock defroster and courtesy light switch. I don't know if I have that micro switch for the lift-gate (I don't remember seeing that). Can't find anything online about an adaptor for this purpose either. Kind of surprising since there's a lot of people in the same boat I would imagine.

·
Los Angeles
1,405 Posts
It should not be difficult to figure out the wires for the hardtop. They are only for the dome light, rear wiper and maybe a defroster(?)

So I would expect 2 wires each, pos and neg? I have 6 wires coming from the front, 3 are black.

I can back probed it if you need but I can't until the weekend.

Grizzy67,
None of the wires that you have in that mess are probably for the hardtop. I have a whole different loom for the rear lights and that.

What do you need pics for? Ask me, no problem.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
This is what I’m figuring all my wires are for.
3 for the courtesy light, one neg for the light, one switched from the rheostat switch and one hot to turn it on from the back which would be connected to the micro switch.
next is 3 for the wiper motor.
then I’m going to assume there are 2 wires for a window defrost even though the tops glass has no defrost wires. The window might have broken and they replaced it without the defroster wires.
The more I look at the wiring, connector and micro switch I’m thinking someone made the switch setup. I’m thinking that plate was removed, they cut a slot for the two wires. I can see a trailer wire connector inside the hole.
Thanks guys, now it’s time to stop by the junkyard and see what they have!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Another question? Correct me if I’m wrong but from this schematic they are running the switched power (acc) to the micro switch and then back up front to the rear wiper switch. Also there is a hot all the time run to the rear wiper motor.
And thanks to “GOT IT AT LAST” for the FSM helps a 1614013013147.png

·
Super Moderator
11,984 Posts
@Grizzy67 Are you loving your Jeep yet? It's just starting. You're either falling in love or falling in hate. Maybe both. You must have heard by now the saying "Just Empty Every Pocket".
If you're like most of us, you feel the satisfaction of figuring something out on your own (with help from other forum members) and saving what it would cost if you took the Jeep to a mechanic. It's the figuring out the problem that's hard. After that most home mechanics can do a better job than a professional flat rate mechanic.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Los Angeles
1,405 Posts
So you have a separate set of wires going to your tail lights, right?

·
Registered
1989 Jeep YJ Islander
14 Posts
Another question? Correct me if I’m wrong but from this schematic they are running the switched power (acc) to the micro switch and then back up front to the rear wiper switch. Also there is a hot all the time run to the rear wiper motor.
And thanks to “GOT IT AT LAST” for the FSM helps a View attachment 4485359
I think that hot at all times is so that the wiper will park if the switch (or Jeep) is turned off while the wiper is running.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
@Grizzy67 Are you loving your Jeep yet? It's just starting. You're either falling in love or falling in hate. Maybe both. You must have heard by now the saying "Just Empty Every Pocket".
If you're like most of us, you feel the satisfaction of figuring something out on your own (with help from other forum members) and saving what it would cost if you took the Jeep to a mechanic. It's the figuring out the problem that's hard. After that most home mechanics can do a better job than a professional flat rate mechanic.

Good Luck, L.M.
So far so good, I don’t have much invested in it so it’s worth something to me. It came with a nice snow plow, is one of the reasons I’ll be in it for some upgrades.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
So you have a separate set of wires going to your tail lights, right?
No, what is coming from the front is the taillights and only two extra wires and I believe they are only for a courtesy light. There are no more wires in that group for the hardtop.

·
Super Moderator
11,984 Posts
No, what is coming from the front is the taillights and only two extra wires and I believe they are only for a courtesy light. There are no more wires in that group for the hardtop.
That's how my '87 is currently wired. The plug on my hard top is a different style than the plug on the tub harness so I temporarily crammed them together so that the courtesy light in the rear cargo area would work when I opened my doors. At least all the wiring for a hard top can be done from topside rather than underneath.

My topper has defrost and a wiper but I don't have a need to make them functionable. It seems like there's plenty to do before I get after the topper wiring. If I ever do so, I'll buy a male & female 8 position plug so that I can have a sanitary and secure connection. I have a bunch of various colored spools of wire that I've collected over time so I can try to get a close match to the stock colored wires.
(For illustration of the idea to use the same or closely colored wires) the pic shows a homemade headlight wiring harness with relays. The green wire isn't an exact match but if there's ever an issue with the homemade harness, it'll be easier to diagnose than if the wires were all the same color. Red is usually 12V power and black is usually ground across the automotive industry.

Good Luck, L.M.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
3,435 Posts
I think that hot at all times is so that the wiper will park if the switch (or Jeep) is turned off while the wiper is running.
That and Most higher amperage lines run straiight to motor with lower amperage through swithches and relays (and smaller ga. wiring). IE Your startter motor and relay. Lots of needed power to motor, less amperage needed through the switches.

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
3,435 Posts
Nice work tracking it down.

Reactions: Grizzy67

·
Registered
670 Posts
The hardtop wires aren't included with non-hardtop models.

I have a chart for the wires in the top. It's handwritten - I'll post it in a minute.

The power for the "park" makes sure that the wiper returns to the parked position when turned off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a similar issue. Owned an 06 TJ with a factory soft top. There was no wiring for hard top the the back. I went to the junk yard and pulled the wiring harness from an 03 that matched the hard top I got. Was able to hook up everything but the defroster. I needed the relay to get it to work. The wiper and dome light were pretty easy to wire up.

hopefully you have access to a junk yard with the right parts. Good luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The hardtop wires aren't included with non-hardtop models.

I have a chart for the wires in the top. It's handwritten - I'll post it in a minute.

The power for the "park" makes sure that the wiper returns to the parked position when turned off.
Does the park have constant power? Or is it just power on when the wiper motor is not running?

·
Registered
670 Posts
I'm pretty certain it's constant power. I'll check on the FSM.

My top is still incorrectly wired - ha ha

21 - 40 of 46 Posts