Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone install the Harken Hoister without using mounting boards on the ceiling? The instructions say if the rafters are exposed you can install without, otherwise secure 2x6's on the ceiling to mount the pigtail lag screws.

I only have ~9ft of height, and while my ceiling does have drywall, I was hoping to install without the boards to save a few inches. The system would only temporarily suspend the top as i plan to build a shelf for the top to sit on once raised.

Couldn't i just screw the pigtails in deeper? or use longer screws to get past the drywall? the biggest concern i think would be to ensure i actually center the screw into the rafter.

thoughts? thanks.

·
Super Moderator
12,688 Posts
The biggest concern i think would be to ensure i actually center the screw into the rafter.
thoughts? thanks.
If you're certain you can get the screws centered in the rafters you should be fine.
I don't know what size screws come with the kit, so I'd make sure I had at least 2" of thread into the rafter.
Centering the screw in the ceiling rafter is still an issue when you're going through the 2X4 that the instructions suggest.
Most Big Box lumber yards will have a battery powered stud finder. It lights up and beeps when you begin to slide it over the ceiling rafter or wall stud and stops being lit and beeping as you find the other edge.
The stud finder has a notch at the point. Mark the place where the notch is with a pencil when you slide the finder near a stud and it begins to beep. Keep sliding it until the beeping stops and make another mark where the beeping stops. Half way in between the marks is the center of the rafter or stud.
UTUBE might have a video of how to use the stud finder. Once you get the hang of it, it's real easy to find the center of the rafter or stud.

I made this contraption out of a $15.00 Murdoch's rope block & tackle and $20.00 worth of pulleys and 5/16" X 3" "J" hooks from Home depot.
The stud finder located the rafters and the "J" hooks haven't pulled out.
It works OK, but I have to revise it so that I can lower the top to a cart on the floor.

Good Luck, L.M.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx!!

The biggest concern i think would be to ensure i actually center the screw into the rafter.
thoughts? thanks.
If you're certain you can get the screws centered in the rafters you should be fine.
I don't know what size screws come with the kit, so I'd make sure I had at least 2" of thread into the rafter.
Centering the screw in the ceiling rafter is still an issue when you're going through the 2X4 that the instructions suggest.
Most Big Box lumber yards will have a battery powered stud finder. It lights up and beeps when you begin to slide it over the ceiling rafter or wall stud and stops being lit and beeping as you find the other edge.
The stud finder has a notch at the point. Mark the place where the notch is with a pencil when you slide the finder near a stud and it begins to beep. Keep sliding it until the beeping stops and make another mark where the beeping stops. Half way in between the marks is the center of the rafter or stud.
UTUBE might have a video of how to use the stud finder. Once you get the hang of it, it's real easy to find the center of the rafter or stud.

I made this contraption out of a $15.00 Murdoch's rope block & tackle and $20.00 worth of pulleys and 5/16" X 3" "J" hooks from Home depot.
The stud finder located the rafters and the "J" hooks haven't pulled out.
It works OK, but I have to revise it so that I can lower the top to a cart on the floor.

Good Luck, L.M.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts