Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, this is another hoist thread. I've read the other threads, compared all of the different hoist options, etc. I like the lift system of the Lange but don't like the single lift point due to spinning and swinging. Also, install looks like a nightmare and I've read too many posts about quality deficiencies.

I like the 4 points of the Harken but honestly don't like the idea of running the straps through the inside of the top. I want hook points to reduce the stress on the top and seals ( yes, I know everyone uses pool noodles but that tells me right there that the setup isn't great when you have to modify it). I want to have 4 hook points on the top; 2 in the rear and 2 in the front.

I'm renovating a garage now and want to get the system done right. I have an approximately 14' ceiling in the garage. I want to hoist the top from the jeep all the way to the ceiling.

I think I want to use the Harken and also use the Topsy Hinge Brackets (Products - Hinge Hook Hoist Bracket).

My questions are:

Will the 12 foot Harken work for my 14' ceiling? I don't need to go from ceiling to floor, just ceiling to top of Jeep.

Can I use hooks at the lifting points on the Harken instead of looping the straps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hooks will work, yes. I don't know about the length.

I don't know what your hooks look like but I would want them to clamp so they all stay put as I put them on because I do it alone.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to know. I haven't bought anything yet but for my hooks, I'm planning on standard hooks in the back for the Hinge hoist hook bracket.

For the front, I'll either find hooks for some of the screw holes or I like the idea of a clamp.

·
Registered
673 Posts
My questions are:

Will the 12 foot Harken work for my 14' ceiling? I don't need to go from ceiling to floor, just ceiling to top of Jeep.

Can I use hooks at the lifting points on the Harken instead of looping the straps?
1. The Harken will work with your ceiling height. I recently helped my neighbor install his Harken and his ceilings were at least 14' if not 15' or 16'.

2. I took a look at the hooks you're referencing, and I'm sure you could make them work. But, I'm not sure it's the better solution for two reasons:
- First, from the link you provided it seems the brackets that attach to the rear hinges would be pretty secure but I'd be concerned about the potential for the hooks at the front to slip off. The strap that the Harken comes with can't slip off once it clipped in. I'm not sure what the top will be hanging over in your garage but I would not want any risk the lifting system could somehow slip off the top while suspended.
- Second, I don't think the hooks will result in any different stress on the top itself. It does avoid the having the straps of the Harken pressing on the rear window seals, but honestly it's not an issue at all. I've been using my Harken for a few years now and the window seals are just fine.

Where in NJ are you located?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm definitely sold on the Harken so I'm glad it will work with the ceiling height. I'll continue to research the brackets and the front straps. I just like the idea of those rear brackets for convenience and to have a clear lift point. I have some time before I have to figure all of this out since the garage is currently under construction so hard too will probably stay on until spring at this point.

I'm in the Scotch Plains/Fanwood area.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I'm in Basking Ridge. If you're ever out my on a weekend and want to check out my Harken install shoot me a PM.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts