Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1999 4.0 Auto 119K

Leaking pretty bad from the Crankshaft seal.

Besides the Seal itself and timing cover gasket and timing chain.

Is there anything else I should do when I've got the front end opened up? Do I need to replace the gears too?

Should I replace the Harmonic Balancer?

Thanks for your help,
Stephen

·
Registered
672 Posts
Make sure that your front main seal kit comes with a speedy sleeve if you not replacing your harmonic balancer. There will be a small groove cut into the surface that might prevent your new seal from sealing.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think, The fel pro timing cover kit comes w the gasket RTV speedy seal and top of oil pan gasket.

·
Registered
672 Posts
It does. But if you are prelacing the Harmonic Balancer you don't need the speedy sleeve. I think I read somewhere (Jerry maybe) that the Jeeps didn't have a harmonic balancer prior to 2000, just a crankshaft pulley.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I have the timing cover off, I have ordered a Cloytes timing chain.

Do I need to replace the gears?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, thank you for your advice. Not a mechanic, just doing my best to take good care of the TJ.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
When I have the timing cover off, I have ordered a Cloytes timing chain.
You don't need to remove the timing cover to replace the seal. At 119k miles, replacing the timing chain is a waste of money and effort.

I would be very surprised if what you ordered doesn't include the gears.
Timing chains are sold without the sprockets every day.

·
Registered
672 Posts
You don't need to remove the timing cover to replace the seal. At 119k miles, replacing the timing chain is a waste of money and effort.

Timing chains are sold without the sprockets every day.
You learn something new every day. I have never seen anything but sets including gears.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Take lots of pics and even a write-up of your install. I'm about to replace my HB due to intermitten noise and wobble. I'm debating about going ahead and change the timing chain/gears since I'm there but I think it would be more of peace of mind vs. chain/tensioner issues. I'm leaning more of just do only the HB since it won't take long. The HB seems very straight forward with rented puller/installer from Autozone. Let us know how the install went.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I did this not too long ago and created a thread with some pictures. Hope this helps.
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/front-crankshaft-seal-593298.html
Thanks, that was a great write-up and definitely learned a few things before I tackle replacing the harmonic balancer. Luckily, this is one time having a 2.5 cyl helps with alot more room. I have recently done my radiator,water pump and fan clutch so luckily I have already cut a notch in the bottom of my fan shroud so I can easily remove it without taking the fan off. That 2x4 idea for the re-install was ingenious. I'm going to bypass doing the chain at this time.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
of the small timing cover bolts were just barely finger tight. One was almost out. Wonder why she was leaking.

New seal, gasket, timing chain-- surprisingly easy.

Almost back together.

How do I get the new dorman balancer on?

Can I heat it?

It's always something.

Rule 1- never let the Jeep win.

Stephen

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Rent the installer tool from AZ. Do not hammer it in and don't use a long bolt to get it installed. The installer tool will make it extremely easy. Torque to 80lbs. I just did my HB with rented tools and it only took 2 hrs. No more vibes and squeaks.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Balancer Install easy

Timing chain, seal, gasket, check all in.

Was struggling w the balancer. I have never done a timing chain before. I live 2hrs from the nearest zone or advance orielly to rent tools

Was getting ready to pound it on, but went and got a 2 1/2 and 3" 1/2x20 bolts with maybe 10 washers.

I did heat the balancer in boiling water for 20 minutes.

It went on very easy. Just cranked her home. I put the open end of a large adjustable wrench on one of the puller bolts for leverage but really only needed it for the final to torque.

Was already to go but didnt have the distilled water to add w the antifreeze, thats for today, its always something.

Attachments

·
Registered
15,672 Posts
Chrysler calls it a vibration damper
Since a straight six is inherently balanced, unlike a V8, it don't need any off center weights on both ends of the crank to offset the inherent imbalance like you see used in a V8

Now straight 4 engines have a inherent imbalance that is secondary at twice the crank RPM so here again an offset weight won't help and here the TJ 2.4 again has a vibration damper that is not even keyed to the crank but since it is really just acting as a flywheel not a harmonic ballancer as there is no asymmetric fixed rotational weight on the damper

1 - 18 of 18 Posts