Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about hooking up some type of separate fuse box to the battery... to hook up the power cord from all the lights and accessories that run off the battery...
OR
Does the wrangler already have an axillary power box to tap into??

Anyone have any insight?

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:cool: Heh Heh, yea, I added a fuse/relay/printed circuit terminal blocked---box--

It's called the sPOD sys and handles 6 seperate accessories

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:thumb:Completely flawless, immediate response, I can op sw's at fingertip, without taking my eyes off the road !!

jimbox, how is the sPOD working for you? I have been considering it for a while.
Well engineered/constructed/electrical elete !!

Can'tbeatit !

Good luck

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

·
Hardcore Jeeper
3,320 Posts
I've got a home-made sPOD if you have the time, tools, and skills. tupperware container with a 6 block fuse pannel, relays screwed into convinent locations under the hood. home built switch block that goes into the ash tray location on my TJ.

Does it look Pretty? not really (under the hood anyways, the switches are nice)
Does It get the job done? Yup
Does it cost over $400??? Not even close...

Its all on personal preference.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I, too, have the SPod. Best mod I ever did. The quality is top rate and a bargain when you consider the amount of work it saves.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:whistling: It;s been a while since I did this but here's a couple pics

EVerything is self contained with the best wiring/harness's/connecters-

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
I bought a Aux. police fuse box off E-bay for $20 with 3 relays and 19 fuses included and wiring harnesses all new. Great cost savings, little more of a pain to install but with the 4 free toggle switches I got from a friend it made for a great cheap mod.

·
Trying to Get Lost
1,080 Posts
:D Thereis an alternative mount !
Lotsa different racks that go between the windshield and soundbar/rollcage crossmember

I meant the sPOD switches -- I'd like to have an alternate location for those, like maybe a pillar option....

Well not to :hijacked:... but I was actually wondering about this. Do you find that the CB radio sits too far towards the rear? It seems like the front panel would be difficult to see clearly from that angle.

I was considering this:

from ARIZONA ROCKY ROAD ANTENNA MOUNTS FOR JEEP WRANGLER, UNLIMITED AND LIBERTY

but I'm just worried that the display would be far back enough that manipulating switches, etc. would require more than just a "quick glance" away from the road. It looks like it's a full foot farther back than a normal above-the-mirror mount.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Here's mine. There was some discussion about the switch panel rubbing the upgraded mirror visors on 2010's, but that is what I have and it is close, but no rubbing whatsoever.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:D NOPE, as you can see, I have mine turned about 30° toward me and I have my seat/back all the way back against the bar-

I meant the sPOD switches -- I'd like to have an alternate location for those, like maybe a pillar option....

Well not to :hijacked:... but I was actually wondering about this. Do you find that the CB radio sits too far towards the rear? It seems like the front panel would be difficult to see clearly from that angle.

I was considering this:

from ARIZONA ROCKY ROAD ANTENNA MOUNTS FOR JEEP WRANGLER, UNLIMITED AND LIBERTY

but I'm just worried that the display would be far back enough that manipulating switches, etc. would require more than just a "quick glance" away from the road. It looks like it's a full foot farther back than a normal above-the-mirror mount.
If you're a short individ-this mount would be a problem-

The sw panel (Vince1) is right against the upper windshield facia-perfect, although I have a long reach too-

·
Trying to Get Lost
1,080 Posts
:D NOPE, as you can see, I have mine turned about 30° toward me and I have my seat/back all the way back against the bar-

If you're a short individ-this mount would be a problem-

The sw panel (Vince1) is right against the upper windshield facia-perfect, although I haver along reach too-

Good to know, I think I need to explore this option further. :) Height shouldn't be an issue (I'm 6'0") and the ARR crossbar I posted above doesn't cost that much -- it would probably be worth trying out before I do a more permanent installation that would get in the way of the sPOD panel.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:D Yea, I've seen a lot of the crossbar mounts, but

Good to know, I think I need to explore this option further. :) Height shouldn't be an issue (I'm 6'0") and the ARR crossbar I posted above doesn't cost that much -- it would probably be worth trying out before I do a more permanent installation that would get in the way of the sPOD panel.
You've gotta make sure it's SECURE and doesn't interfere with the "T" tops seals and alignment pins !!

Otherwise--IT WORKS KEAL !

·
Registered
318 Posts

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Unsure of multiple relays, single relay or no relays

I definitely need to add some auxiliary outputs, but my biggest confusion is the difference between just a general fuse box with no relays (like Painless Wiring offers) or a block like the sPOD that has relays for every single output?

Currently I'm budgetarily tapped into misc lines running 1) two remotes to amps; 2) interior LEDs (yes, I'm too old to still enjoy, but I just can't outgrow it) and not only to I want to clean those up, but I want to go ahead and prepare for future mods:

1. HID headlight conversion
2. GPS
3. Fog Lights (switch broke on my turn signal post)
4. Lightbar
5. Winch

My limited understanding from looking around the forum is relays are necessary for higher draw items like the winch & lights...but the smaller stuff like GPS and Amp remotes aren't necessary.

The sPOD looks awesome, but is def more than I would like to spend. I've seen some outrageously cool builds, but my understanding of them is null, even after reading them over and over again.

I immediately apologize for my ignorance and look for any and all help.

:surrender:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts