Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like more light up front. I was looking for a flat stick on led that I could stick behind the rear view mirror, but can't find anything that I think would work. Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
lexington01 said:
I would like more light up front. I was looking for a flat stick on led that I could stick behind the rear view mirror, but can't find anything that I think would work. Anyone have any suggestions?
Theres these led strips i think called underglow that are made for under the dashboard/foot area and even under the car (dont ask) that im sure you can make into fitting behind your rear view mirror with some double sided tape. Just a thought.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion. I was hoping to find something battery powered so that I don't have to wire it in. I'm not completely opposed to wiring it. Just hoping to find a quick and easy solution. I've seen led key chains that put off tons of light so I'm sure it could be done. I just can't seem to find anything.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I may have just answered my own question. I've been looking for led stick on lights. Maybe I'll just use a keychain light. Still open to suggestions though!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
lexington01 said:
Thanks for the suggestion. I was hoping to find something battery powered so that I don't have to wire it in. I'm not completely opposed to wiring it. Just hoping to find a quick and easy solution. I've seen led key chains that put off tons of light so I'm sure it could be done. I just can't seem to find anything.
I understand, i wouldnt want to do much work for so little with a wire hanging around. This may not be what you wanted but what i see as the easiest yet most effective is to tape a little led flashlight key chain (from a gas station, like how you mentioned) behind the mirror facing down so you cant see it, but its there. As long as it has a handsfree holding button ( you dont have to constantly hold it) than it seems simple. Heck, i might even do this now :)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Maybe pick up a rearview mirror from a 2013 and swap it. The 2013s have maplights and bet they just connect to some existing wires in the windshield header. Don't know for sure but if it does could be a nice, clean factory install.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Any suggestions on where to mount the Rampage map lights on a 2012? The clips seem rather small for the visor and I'm struggling to find some bare metal for the magnet option. What are others doing?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Maybe pick up a rearview mirror from a 2013 and swap it. The 2013s have maplights and bet they just connect to some existing wires in the windshield header. Don't know for sure but if it does could be a nice, clean factory install.
It wont work; there is no pre-wire run for this.

I added a Gentex Homelink mirror and ran the wires from the dash up. It is an OEM mirror that goes into most newer cars and trucks. You can get one with map lights. It clips directly to your OEM mirror mount. They also have auto-dim feature. It looks 100% OEM.

Gentex HomeLink®

They are Mopar OEM: http://www.factorymoparparts.com/50-genk30.html

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
OT...(but in the save vain)...
I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, Love to add homelink. That will be one of the features I miss the most from my Libby. If you are wiring lights in...homelink would be really useful.

If the Gentex is a simple swap, I may have to consider that and sell my current lighted mirror.

Edit...it looks like I will lose my map lights if I go Gentex...bummer.

·
Registered
388 Posts
OT...(but in the save vain)...
I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, Love to add homelink. That will be one of the features I miss the most from my Libby. If you are wiring lights in...homelink would be really useful.

If the Gentex is a simple swap, I may have to consider that and sell my current lighted mirror.
Very easy....where is Chicagoland are you? I am in the Libertyville area, and have done the swap already. It's not cheap, but it is the best mod I have done.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Very easy....where is Chicagoland are you? I am in the Libertyville area, and have done the swap already. It's not cheap, but it is the best mod I have done.
I'm just SW of Fox Valley Mall....basically where Oswego, Aurora, Naperville and Plainfield all meet. But it looks like I may lose the map light with the Gentex.

·
Registered
388 Posts

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Harbor frieght sells little led clip on light for 2.99 .i have tWO in my jeep i clip them right at the top of a piller where the roll bar meets

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
Check computer stuff as well. USB lights run on 12v if you know how to wire 'em in. Computer chassis lights also run off 12v. Some of the smaller LED's run on 5.5v but any computer parts store, even compUSA should all sorts of 12v light options.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you're looking to add homelink only for your garage door opener, a much cheaper option would be to add a pushbutton switch and wire it in. I'll probably do this next summer when I get a soft top.

Just crack open the garage door opener, solder in the switch, drill a hole under the dash and mount the opener behind the panel. No theif will ever know it's there unless they go over your Jeep with a fine tooth comb. You could probably wire it into one of the stock blanks under the HVAC controls too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts