Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently put in a lot of mods:
unusedusername's Jeep Profile :: Wrangler Rubicon

Has anyone gone through the experience of adding the mods to their auto insurance?

I believe technically it isn't required, but since I carry full coverage anyways I understand that if I add the mods to my insurance and someone steals my winch that insurance will cover a new one. Is this true?

How much will my insurance go up if I tell them about it? (California if it matters).

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
Good question...Think Ill call my agent tomorrow, I know her pretty well and she will tell me straight up.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
I think even with full coverage they only cover fixing it to how it comes out of the factory. If you have a 30k jeep and 20k in mods that's a 50k replacement value. If you only pay insurance on a 30k vehicle, they would be losing a lot of money if you expected a 50k payout.

If you declare your mods your rates will go up a bit but it may be worth it

·
Registered
108 Posts
My previous vehicle was a modified Camaro. When I asked insurance (Geico) this same question they said there was a dollar limit (I believe $2k) where the rates would go up. I did disclose my mods but I kept it under $2k so never had an increase.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Need to discuss with broker about getting another insurance plan for the upgrades. This I believe is more commonly know as an umbrella insurance.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I have Geico..its an add on to cover mods..like Uninsured motorists.

I declined. I had a $800 dollar claim when I trashed my tie rod and SS on debris in the road....raised my rates $50 a month...times 3 years. Not worth the $500 dedeuctible plus the increase in rates.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I believe technically it isn't required, but since I carry full coverage anyways I understand that if I add the mods to my insurance and someone steals my winch that insurance will cover a new one. Is this true?
If you pay for the policy rider that covers additional equipment, yes.

Some insurers will cover a certain amount of items in or on the vehicle, up to a specified amount and others will not. It depends on the company. They are under no obligation to pay for modifications to the vehicle.

If one installs expensive accessories, it is up to the owner to have them covered by the insurer. If not, the insurer will cover only the base vehicle, as detailed by the VIN.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I use State Farm and did a declared value policy, including my entire invoice from the AEV build. It barely raised my rates. And they said anything attached to the vehicle was covered like the winch that I hadn't installed yet.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Need to discuss with broker about getting another insurance plan for the upgrades. This I believe is more commonly know as an umbrella insurance.
Additional coverage for accessories isn't an umbrella policy. PLP, i.e. Umbrella is supplemental liability coverage designed to extend liability coverage beyond the existing liability on auto, home, motorcycle, etc.

I am nationally licensed to sell p&c insurance and my advice would be to contact your current carrier and advise them of the additions you need coverage for. If additional coverage is offered by your carrier, it will most likely be a rider or endorsement to the policy and an extra premium will apply.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I think even with full coverage they only cover fixing it to how it comes out of the factory. If you have a 30k jeep and 20k in mods that's a 50k replacement value. If you only pay insurance on a 30k vehicle, they would be losing a lot of money if you expected a 50k payout.

If you declare your mods your rates will go up a bit but it may be worth it
^ This.

I added my mods to my policy. I think I added like 6k & my policy went up like $80. I need to update my mods, 6k is a pretty old figure!

·
Registered
123 Posts
My agent told me to just keep recipts of all of the mods and everything would be good. Not sure how reliable that is, but who knows!

·
Registered
429 Posts
I use State Farm and did a declared value policy, including my entire invoice from the AEV build.
I believe that, when its all said and done the biggest expense for vehicle insurance is personal injury and not vehicle repairs.

I have state farm as well and a million dollar umbrella to help cover anything additional to home and auto and its like $10 a month. Many things an auto policy doesnt cover, like unattended fueling that spills on the ground. Agent told me of a guy being sued by a local gas station for a diesel spill that he claimed wasnt his fault but a faulty pump. Was going to be $50K cleanup and not covered by auto policy but is covered by umbrella policy.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have State Farm
I have done a lot to my Jeep and I gave them a copy of my receipts and they took photos of the Jeep with the mods.
I don't believe that my rates went up.

Pete

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
I believe that, when its all said and done the biggest expense for vehicle insurance is personal injury and not vehicle repairs.

I have state farm as well and a million dollar umbrella to help cover anything additional to home and auto and its like $10 a month. Many things an auto policy doesnt cover, like unattended fueling that spills on the ground. Agent told me of a guy being sued by a local gas station for a diesel spill that he claimed wasnt his fault but a faulty pump. Was going to be $50K cleanup and not covered by auto policy but is covered by umbrella policy.
An agent told you a story that relates to something he is selling you? Huh, bet that's never happened before... :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts