Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help!

My jk unlimited is only 2.5 months old. I have the 75 anniversary edition that comes with the Hard Rock front bumper like the rubi's. The bolts and washers are slowly starting to rust. Has anyone changed them out or know of any company that sells kits to replace?

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
Good Idea

When you find out let us know. I hate going to lowes and wasting time looking for bolts that are out of stock all the time.
I replaced all of the bolts on the front and rear differential covers with that nice looking stainless steel sockethead cap bolts. 5/16-18 x 3/4
I hadn't decided on a new diff cover so the stainless bolts look good against the black.

You find some nice ones for teh bumpers, post them, I have painted mine once now and added corrosion-x to the threads to try to slow the rust. 8 months so far and still black.

Best regards

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
In applications like the front bumper, chances are the original fasteners are much higher strength than generic hardware store stainless. My suggestion would be to look at what ARP and/or Totally Stainless has to offer in high strength stainless.

·
Registered
481 Posts
When you find out let us know. I hate going to lowes and wasting time looking for bolts that are out of stock all the time.

I replaced all of the bolts on the front and rear differential covers with that nice looking stainless steel sockethead cap bolts. 5/16-18 x 3/4

I hadn't decided on a new diff cover so the stainless bolts look good against the black.

You find some nice ones for teh bumpers, post them, I have painted mine once now and added corrosion-x to the threads to try to slow the rust. 8 months so far and still black.

Best regards

Can you just replace the bolts without Changing the seal?
Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
115 Posts
SS bolts

>"Can you just replace the bolts without Changing the seal? "<
Thx

Yes, you sure can. I only took one stock bolt out at a time and replaced with the new bolt. No leak or seepage of the gear oil. I'd say you could take two out and then change the socket on your ratchet to the allen driver and put the two new ones back in. I used a small Stainless 8mm washer, with the cap bolt, it fit good and tight. I just havn't decided on a differential cover yet,

I have taken three bolts out of a differential cover before and it will start leaking, but I was changing the oil in the differential, so it was ok.
Good luck
have a good one

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
>"Can you just replace the bolts without Changing the seal? "<
Thx

Yes, you sure can. I only took one stock bolt out at a time and replaced with the new bolt. No leak or seepage of the gear oil. I'd say you could take two out and then change the socket on your ratchet to the allen driver and put the two new ones back in. I used a small Stainless 8mm washer, with the cap bolt, it fit good and tight. I just havn't decided on a differential cover yet,

I have taken three bolts out of a differential cover before and it will start leaking, but I was changing the oil in the differential, so it was ok.
Good luck
have a good one
It also depends on how long the cover has been in place. I only changed the gear oil once in the 14 years I owned my old Ranger. I had all the bolts out and it didn't leak a drop. I had to smack the cover pretty hard with a rubber mallet to break the seal.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts