Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was driving my football officiating crew buddies to a game, going 75 on the freeway when the engine revved like a banshee and scared the hell out of me. Turns out the big dude in the passenger seat's leg downshifted the auto stick accidentally just with pressure. 2nd gear at 75MPH! Jeez.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Several people have...
Kind of silly that there isn't a lock-out button or some kind of gate for manual mode.

·
Registered
111 Posts
FYI he bumped it a few times to get it to drop down to 2nd...if you are in D and bump it once you will be in 4th...

·
Registered
250 Posts
Are your buddies NFL replacement officials? Maybe they thought that you had gained enough ground, and were trying to give you a "first" down...

·
Dont forget a Jack strap
30,851 Posts
bakedinmn said:
are your buddies nfl replacement officials? Maybe they thought that you had gained enough ground, and were trying to give you a "first" down...
:D haha

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FYI he bumped it a few times to get it to drop down to 2nd...if you are in D and bump it once you will be in 4th...
Yes, I am aware of that but if you saw the size of his thighs you'd understand. Backseat for him next time!

·
Super Moderator
23,782 Posts
I know we don't need more safe guards protecting us from ourselves but I do wish there was a way to prevent this. My wife who is not big accidently pushed her purse against and downshifted while i was driving fortunately I realized what was happening right away because I was used to the quirks of the auto. I was in 5th on my way home from buying the jeep when I had to stop at a stop sign and then merge into traffic and punched it and the thing stayed in first until I figured out what was going on. Not sure what rpm the reve limiter is set at but it is pretty high lol.

·
Dont forget a Jack strap
30,851 Posts
jadmt said:
I know we don't need more safe guards protecting us from ourselves but I do wish there was a way to prevent this. My wife who is not big accidently pushed her purse against and downshifted while i was driving fortunately I realized what was happening right away because I was used to the quirks of the auto. I was in 5th on my way home from buying the jeep when I had to stop at a stop sign and then merge into traffic and punched it and the thing stayed in first until I figured out what was going on. Not sure what rpm the reve limiter is set at but it is pretty high lol.
My XTS has a manual mode, flick it down one and it goes Into automatic sport mode then if you tap the paddle shifters on the wheel it goes manual. Something like this would be effective.

·
Super Moderator
23,782 Posts
My XTS has a manual mode, flick it down one and it goes Into automatic sport mode then if you tap the paddle shifters on the wheel it goes manual. Something like this would be effective.
yes I agree 100%that would be perfect to have a paddle shifters on the steering wheel.

·
Super Moderator
23,782 Posts
you shoulda boughta stick
For me it was a comprimise. My wife wanted an automatic I wanted a stick, my wife wanted an automatic I wanted a jeep, I comprimised LOL.

·
Registered
218 Posts
For me it was a comprimise. My wife wanted an automatic I wanted a stick, my wife wanted an automatic I wanted a jeep, I comprimised LOL.
I comprimised too, my wife drives a stick. Well, when she pries my hands from the steering wheel. :dance:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Yep. It has happened to me too. When did this design come into production? Mine is a 2013.

This is got to be one of the craziest shifters I have seen. What were they thinking?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts