Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting one of these so that I can use a non-chipped key. From what I can see, it's just a box that holds a chipped key, with what appears to be an antenna-type harness that fits in the column around the switch. If anyone has installed one, I would be curious to know how well it worked out for you.

Disclaimer: I understand that this defeats the anti-theft ignition, but I'm really more concerned about my 17 year old losing a $120 key than losing the jeep (much higher odds on the key loss, by far). I pretty much always park in secured areas or out in the sticks, and I have good insurance. Plus, I already have a bunch of "fat" keys on the keyring, and wouldn't mind keeping it a bit more slim, if possible.

Thanks for any help.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,471 Posts
Can't you just secure (tape, zip tie, etc.) a chipped key inside the column next to the reader to accomplish the same thing? I know I read of someone who had either done that or said it would work.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I could use another 20 years! I about fell off my chair reading that one.

I thought about just getting a key in proximity. I may try that. If anybody else is put off by the dealer price on the keys, my Ace Hardware/Do It Best store just told me they will make them for $49 in about 5 minutes (instead of $120 in 90 minutes - as the dealer told me it would be).

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Some things to know regarding the transponder systems in chrysler vehicles. While your hardware store may do it cheaper, the key still needs to be programmed to the car. Chryslers are different than most transponder systems of that era in the fact that there is no way to add keys to the system "in the field", you need the dealer scan tool and for that, they will charge you.

Regarding whatever "bypass" you are referring to, I would be wary of it. If your antenna loop breaks or the key moves in the box then your jeep doesn't start at all. Not good.

If I was going to bypass this system on my own vehicle, here is what I would do. I would remove the factory transponder pickup from the steering column (its a black plastic ring around the key cylinder with a module attached to it, you can figure it out). I would then relocate this antenna pickup further down the steering column or in the dash somewhere. You will probably need to extend the 4 wire data plug into the module.

Then, firmly affix your key right into the middle of the plastic antenna loop. Permanently bypassed, with no additional parts to fail.

·
Registered
772 Posts
If anybody else is put off by the dealer price on the keys, my Ace Hardware/Do It Best store just told me they will make them for $49 in about 5 minutes (instead of $120 in 90 minutes - as the dealer told me it would be).

Thanks guys!
tried that with the wife's 07 compass(grey key) and while the ace key worked, the sentry light stayed on and about 1 in 20 trys it would not work. we had just bought he compass w/one key so i pitched a bi*ch at the dealer and got a 2nd one made for free(need 2 keys to program) . then got 2 blank chip keys off ebay, had ace cut them and programmed then through the ignition-they work fine and cost around $45 for 2 keys

1 - 7 of 7 Posts