Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interested in something like the Mopar Africa Concept:

Idea is to keep weight to a minimum, and to keep weight lower in the vehicle.

This location also doesn't impede rear visibility, or cargo space, assuming the spare can fit.

Relocating the muffler doesn't concern me, as my plans were to relocate the exhaust out of preference.

1. Hubcentric Steelie 16x6.5" - approx $65
2. Coker Tire Pn 71014 9.00x16 - outer diameter is 36.3", 10.4" at its widest. $250
3. Dorman Spare Tire Winch, approx $80

Pair this with a bottle jack, and some frame brackets, and you've got a minimalist solution for a spare tire, lower in cost, lighter in weight, and better for weight distribution.

Now normally I'd go outside with a tape measure and deflate my dreams, or start buying parts, but the dealership has my Jeep for a few more days. Curious to see if anyone has tried this, seen this, or was interested in doing something similar.

For reference, the Mopar Africa concept is lengthened 12" over a standard JKU; I've also seen under-bed spares on lengthened brute pickup conversions, obviously neither is a reliable reference point.

Concerns I see are:
1. Will it physically stuff into the space left by the muffler with a stock-length JKU?
2. Will rear clearance be adversely affected?
3. Anything else?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
It would have to be a tiny tire to fit there.

Also, a JK and a JK Unlimited are the same length back there, so dont think you are getting more room with a 4 door.

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
With the trails I travel the rocks would kill it in no time. I need all the clearance I can get and my skid plates look like topo maps front to rear. A spare under the Jeep would die a violent and quick death under my Jeep. However if it works for you and how you use your Jeep I would say it is a valid solution.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
probably make more sense to just mount it inside your rig if you want it down low. I think if you don't mind cutting and fabbing you could do exactly what you want but it will take some work. I need to search that tire tho that sounds interesting. I always think of Coker tires as low performance classic car tires but I need to find out as that size is intriguing.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Would possibly affect your departure angle depending on the width of the tire. Have you considered mounting the wheel on the hood like a Defender?

Doesnt block the front view as much as it looks too

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
With the trails I travel the rocks would kill it in no time. I need all the clearance I can get and my skid plates look like topo maps front to rear. A spare under the Jeep would die a violent and quick death under my Jeep. However if it works for you and how you use your Jeep I would say it is a valid solution.
Very true. Your intended use is really what determines what works. If you use your Jeep as a weekend rock crawler your requirements are much different from an overlander or a DD.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Definitely start with measuring the space under your JK/JKU. Just a quick rough/loose check shows about 21" between the sway bar and hitch mount. The Africa concept is extended in the rear. I can't tell how much. but there's definitely more sheet metal behind the fuel door IMHO.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm personally interested in an 'emergency donut' for a modified Jeep with 37" tires, with the least amount of compromise to achieve this goal.

To recap the advantages mentioned in the OP, if this speciality rim/tire combo can be mounted under-body, compared to a traditional "5th matching" rim/tire installed on a tailgate or bumper mount:

• Weight is considerably less, approx 50lbs less wheel and tire, maybe another 50-80lbs less over a heavy duty tire carrier.
  • Any weight added will be low slung in the vehicle.
  • Cargo space access is made easier via tire carrier delete
  • Cargo space is completely unaffected.
  • Cost is less than half of a matching "5th rim/tire"
  • Rear visibility is wide-open, improved over stock.

It'd be enough to get you off the trail, and would eliminate worries when your buddy has bad luck first and can't lend his spare, or when you're wheeling solo without a spare. Seems like the ideal solution for those of us running "tramp stamps" or who opt to go spare-less with a nod towards mpg savings, etc. when around town.

This CJ has the tire in question on a 16" wheel, it's a specialty/narrow tire within 0.5" in overall diameter compared to my 37's, which may make this location viable; the off road "emergency donut":

I've been reading several threads on clever tire placement, the obvious solution would seem to be dumping it on the floor of the cargo area with some tie downs; if I wanted to get fancy I'd build an MDF floor board, and try to match the carpet. Many people are able to fit 37's flat, or nearly flat in this scenario based on other threads.

But for my application, this doesn't work; my dog has a hard enough time scrambling into the cargo area on his own with the 3" lift and the larger tires. Now even with this compact spare, add an additional 10.4" of tire, and 1" of mdf, and I'm lifting him into the Jeep, or I'm being forced to compromise on where puppy and puppy's fur goes, eg the cab. This makes my Jeep less of a useful tool, and more of a toy.

Tape measure and patience time, unless someone here has seen or done it on a JK which hasn't been lengthened (eg Mopar Africa Concept and Brute pickup conversion).

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Definitely start with measuring the space under your JK/JKU. Just a quick rough/loose check shows about 21" between the sway bar and hitch mount. The Africa concept is extended in the rear. I can't tell how much. but there's definitely more sheet metal behind the fuel door IMHO.
It's extended 12" over a factory JKU.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
We don't like the idea of the spare being under the vehicle, however, if the spare was a smaller reserve balloon type tire (thin military steelie) this might be acceptable. Also, moving more towards the hood mount as this would be a better idea IF the hood was designed as to allow for a deep pocket for which the spare could rest in which would be very similar to the Defender's hood design.

By creating a deep pocket or dip in the hood as to allow for a spare, you're reducing the air flow and would need to make up for this by adding vents or ports on the sides or back, not to mention a snorkel there after.

I think a better alternative would be to create a dummy second door spare tire mount used either behind the driver or passenger. If positioned higher up on the door, the spare could be moved closer to the jeeps interior or more in line with the fender flares, which would resemble the old school jeep trucks.

Edit:

It's not so much where the spare is placed, but how accessible it is once it's actually needed.. We'll be looking into spare tire mounts which support the tire until the tire reaches the ground.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
1. If you off road the tire will get torn up.

2. If you live where there is winter the salt will destroy the tire and wheel in no time flat.

3. I wouldn't run a dummy tire with a 37 on a solid axle.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
2. If you live where there is winter the salt will destroy the tire and wheel in no time flat.
While I don't think mounting a Jeep's spare tire underneath is going to work because of space issues, I've owned many vehicles over the years that had the spare time mounted underneath. Those spare tires have always been mounted on your basic steelie.

We get our fair share of salt in the winter in WV, and the last truck I had with the spare mounted underneath was 16 years old, and while there was a tiny bit of surface rust on the wheel, the salt certainly didn't destroy the tire and wheel in no time flat. The salt did destroy the floor of the bed, but the wheel and tire were fine.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I've got the excessive industries in the jeep mount and absolutely love it.
Can hold up to a 40 inch tire and keeps the weight right over the rear axle.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I just measured mine and there's only about 21" between the pumpkin and the inner side of the back bumper. That doesn't even take the track bar into consideration.

I think that it could be done, but you would either have to stretch the jeep or fab up a new back bumper to let the tire stick out the back a bit. You could also tuck it up higher by cutting out the storage/amp recess under the rear floor.

Might end up being really cool actually, but it would kill your approach/departure angles for sure. Too much down side & fab work for too little gain as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
While I don't think mounting a Jeep's spare tire underneath is going to work because of space issues, I've owned many vehicles over the years that had the spare time mounted underneath. Those spare tires have always been mounted on your basic steelie.

We get our fair share of salt in the winter in WV, and the last truck I had with the spare mounted underneath was 16 years old, and while there was a tiny bit of surface rust on the wheel, the salt certainly didn't destroy the tire and wheel in no time flat. The salt did destroy the floor of the bed, but the wheel and tire were fine.
Having multiple trucks with bottom mount spares I have had a different experience.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Underneath mounted spares never really made sense to me. As stated above theres salt to worry about, I had enough problems smashing my muffler against the earth below, and by the time I needed my spare it would probably have a bent rim that couldn't hold air.

I would also not utilized a dummy tire with a 37 on a straight axle that also has an overly intrusive BLD, TCS, ESC system. Your brakes would probably lock up on one side of those axles trying to control rotational speeds. On top of that, if you have an Automatic transmission, I wouldn't put it past the computer to put it in limp mode in that scenario, leaving you stranded.

New cars are not like their predecessors. They REQUIRE a same diameter spare due to the intrusive "safety" features built in.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts