1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Banned
1,159 Posts
I have installed more expensive RK lifts in the past and they rode like crap. You are really wasting your money on long arm kits as they do a poor job in terms of geometry design. Get a good short arm kit from metal cloak. Tried and true proven good quality lifts that have the best ride out there.

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have installed more expensive RK lifts in the past and they rode like crap. You are really wasting your money on long arm kits as they do a poor job in terms of geometry design. Get a good short arm kit from metal cloak. Tried and true proven good quality lifts that have the best ride out there.
well not to start an argument, but i have had a LA kit on my JKUR for 5y and am quite pleased on how it has run on/off road and held up better than expected.

is your statement JL specific or generic in nature?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Long arm kits in general have better geometry which is the entire point of a long arm. Even metalcloak has a long arm kit. I don’t ride rock krawler stuff but RK is fantastic quality. Depending on what the OP is using the kit for, they may very well lean RK. Every RK jeep ive been in i have been impressed with ride quality and off road ability from RK.

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Long arm kits in general have better geometry which is the entire point of a long arm. Even metalcloak has a long arm kit. I don’t ride rock krawler stuff but RK is fantastic quality. Depending on what the OP is using the kit for, they may very well lean RK. Every RK jeep ive been in i have been impressed with ride quality and off road ability from RK.
Sorry i didn't clarify that and should have.

My next build platform will be a 2021 JLUR with EcoDiesel. If you take a look at my build thread, going to try and make it as close to Artemis as possible.

·
Banned
1,159 Posts
Actually they don't have better geometry. All you are really getting is a flatter arc in the movement. You generally get less ground clearance, less frame side separation, an in some cases undesirable pinion angle changes thru out the the suspension travel. There are just too many things in the way on the stock vehicle to get good geometry. If you look the the front frame mounts on the RK kits you will see there is only a couple inches of link separation where you should have 6"-8" if you have the proper amount at the axle end, 40" tire = 10" of separation at the axle.The upper and lower links should converge at some point. Where this point is will affect the ride and the performance of the suspension. The RK 3 link is set up so the uppers and lowers may not ever converge. Teralfex long arm kits typically have very short upper arms which create pinion angle changes and will affect the driveline angles during articulation.Metal Cloak uses a radial front arm set up that typically has a lot of bind in the system and they address that by the use of their lock and load upper link that can be unlocked to prevent the bind. I am not a fan of the radial design because of the amount of weight that has to be supported by only two control arm mounts on the frame. The Genright elite kit is the best kit out there geometry wise as it address link mounts on the axle as well as the frame but is costly and require a lot of other modifications to remove all the conflicts of the stock jeep. Because of this it is out of most peoples reach.

As far as RK quality, the kits I have installed have been poor. Powder coating chips very easy, brackets take a lot of adjustment to fit right and the last kit I did the shock boxes were soaked in oil from leaking shocks. RK kits are also overly heavy using solid rod vs tube on many of their kits. RK joints (they don't actually make them) have gotten better over time but have issues for years and there are other joints on the market today that are superior.

About the only benefit from running a $10,000 long arm kit is that it may track a little better driving down the road. You can accomplish the same thing by addressing the lower control arm link mounts and your steering/track bar links.

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.