Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what are some things i should look out for.

will the engine mounts be in same location

the engine harness plug into my body harness?

i am going to be doing this swap soon and i want to know if there is a common problem to look out for.

·
Registered
784 Posts
my total newb comment is, if your gonna go threw the hassle of a engine swap. why not something bigger. a 350 Chevy has proven to be just as bullet proof as a 4.0 and gets about the same MPGs. lol

thats all i have to offer. =P

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
jeepskala said:
what are some things i should look out for.

will the engine mounts be in same location

the engine harness plug into my body harness?

i am going to be doing this swap soon and i want to know if there is a common problem to look out for.
Your transmission will not bolt up. The engine harness isn't the same, and the mounts are different.

Its just as much work as a V8 swap.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok well its a daily driver and in NY the OBD2 inspection is strict.

well im getting a tj that is wrecked but the drive train is complete and works fine. i was going to pull out what i have to and put it in mine.

4.0, ax-15, np231, drive shafts, trans harness, eng harness (if seprate) engine mounts, etc etc its from a 98 tj mine is a 97 does it seem a little easier now, since i will have everything.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so basicly just take everything that is in my wrecked tj, out that is touching and switch it over lol. then buy the mounts weld them in and pray for the best. i am hoping to do this with friends with in 5 days obviously i will have everything out of the wrecked on before hand.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Oh, if you have the parts you should be fine. It's not going to be any easier just because it's another jeep engine though. It sure will make it easier that you have another tj.

·
Registered
450 Posts
my total newb comment is, if your gonna go threw the hassle of a engine swap. why not something bigger. a 350 Chevy has proven to be just as bullet proof as a 4.0 and gets about the same MPGs. lol

thats all i have to offer. =P
Wow, bet a Wrangler with a 350 could actually climb straight up a wall. Would I ever love to have that in my 2001 TJ.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Im doing this swap right now. Im going with a aw4 outa a xj along with the 4.0 from a 2 wheel drive xj. Using a a 5 speed tj harness and converting the aw4 into a manual shift if all goes well

1 - 9 of 9 Posts