Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I started using my YJ as dd I'm leaving the keys in the ignition. Which is not the greatest idea with a soft top. I'm not sure if it's a good idea because it serves as theft deterrent. But I want it off.

image-2859004689.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks all.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
image-1781686603.jpg

This key release lever is really tricky it feels awkward and not user friendly I always have to press it like two to three times before key comes out. Leaving me to believe I've got the keys with me then realizing that they're still in the jeep.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I also had trouble with mine... I pulled my wheel and lubed everywhere in there and changed out my lock cylinder and lubed the linkage quite a bit.

Working like a champ now... The reason to keep it operable... Safety! Since the wheel locks if you remove it and accidentally bump the cylinder while driving, it could lock the wheel while you are still rolling.

I bet your lock cylinder is causing the issue rather than the key release, the cylinder gets warped frame force over the years. New one with two keys is only $11

·
Registered
457 Posts
I'd just leave the keys in it. Maybe you'll get lucky and someone actually WILL steal it. End of the headaches for you!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also had trouble with mine... I pulled my wheel and lubed everywhere in there and changed out my lock cylinder and lubed the linkage quite a bit. Working like a champ now... The reason to keep it operable... Safety! Since the wheel locks if you remove it and accidentally bump the cylinder while driving, it could lock the wheel while you are still rolling. I bet your lock cylinder is causing the issue rather than the key release, the cylinder gets warped frame force over the years. New one with two keys is only $11
I appreciate the info. But is there a way to bypass that wheel lock so that the release is no longer required.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I appreciate the info. But is there a way to bypass that wheel lock so that the release is no longer required.
you can. probably one of the silliest things you can do.as mentioned above. wheel lock hazard. if you don't mind killing yourself..passengers...bystanders...other motorist..then sure just go ahead and grab a pair of vice grips clamp on and pull till you feel smarter :)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you can. probably one of the silliest things you can do.as mentioned above. wheel lock hazard. if you don't mind killing yourself..passengers...bystanders...other motorist..then sure just go ahead and grab a pair of vice grips clamp on and pull till you feel smarter :)
Ok maybe I'm not understanding how the exactly how it operates. as to just releasing the steering wheel when turning the key into the ignition. I'm glad I didn't make that mistake. That's why I asked is to make sure.
Thanks

·
Registered
457 Posts
You drive a Jeep. One of the above mentioned is probably going to happen anyway!:lmao:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You drive a Jeep. One of the above mentioned is probably going to happen anyway!:lmao:
^^ my thoughts as well that's why I love messing with my YJ anything that's bugs me I eliminate it. Radio wasn't working it got ripped off...

·
Registered
457 Posts
My radio (electrical fire waiting to happen) was the first thing to go. Big hole in dash. Looks fine to me.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Even if you could disable the key safety switch, I think it would be a PITA... That lever actuates a lock on the backside of the key cylinder, not sure how to even get at it... The part outside just actuates the internal piece, cut it off and you will never get the keys out.

I would spend the $10+ bucks and replace they key cylinder... That's the issue you are having.

Plus it's so retro 70s, all the cars had them!

·
Registered
457 Posts
not mine.radio is everything..all 7000wt :)
You're one of those guys I'd like to throw a bucket of nails out in the road when I (the entire neighborhood!!!!) hears you coming from a mile away! :rant:

Save your hearing, dude! When its gone, its gone. Your "cool" radio won't matter one bit at that point.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You're one of those guys I'd like to throw a bucket of nails out in the road when I (the entire neighborhood!!!!) hears you coming from a mile away! :rant: Save your hearing, dude! When its gone, its gone. Your "cool" radio won't matter one bit at that point.
Don't you think he knows that already that's why he needs that loud it's already come to that 😝

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Even if you could disable the key safety switch, I think it would be a PITA... That lever actuates a lock on the backside of the key cylinder, not sure how to even get at it... The part outside just actuates the internal piece, cut it off and you will never get the keys out. I would spend the $10+ bucks and replace they key cylinder... That's the issue you are having. Plus it's so retro 70s, all the cars had them!
That's kool I guess I just like to get in n get out just as quickly as do I with accord (oops did say that out loud) oh well.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
You're one of those guys I'd like to throw a bucket of nails out in the road when I (the entire neighborhood!!!!) hears you coming from a mile away! :rant:

Save your hearing, dude! When its gone, its gone. Your "cool" radio won't matter one bit at that point.
don't have to hear to feel bass. :)

·
Registered
457 Posts
Huh? Eyyyyyyyy? Whadda ya say?

Better hope you marry somebody with a very deep voice and and doesn't mind shouting at you 2 or 3 times with everything she says. And hope you have kids who are the same patient people with baritone voices, otherwise you WILL regret it.

You can trust my 1st hand knowledge on this one.

Just saying.....

Now go enjoy your loud radio, it is great to be young.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
what do you think john...
Now I'm thinking of putting in one of those headunit with the auxiliary output since the wires May become a fire hazard. Is a four speaker and two tweeters system loud enough. I was doing some spring cleaning and came across a used pioneer headunit

·
Supporting Member
2,837 Posts
Huh? Eyyyyyyyy? Whadda ya say? Better hope you marry somebody with a very deep voice and and doesn't mind shouting at you 2 or 3 times with everything she says. And hope you have kids who are the same patient people with baritone voices, otherwise you WILL regret it. You can trust my 1st hand knowledge on this one. Just saying..... Now go enjoy your loud radio, it is great to be young.

I know what your saying. When I was young I went to a ton of very loud concerts. Spent plenty of time at the drag strip, had big stereos in all my cars , and used to shoot without hearing protection. I'm 32 and can't hear worth a damn my wife hates repeating everything 2-3 times before I hear her

1 - 20 of 26 Posts