Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking on line for options on turning my gray fender falirs black again. I came across a video of a guy taking a heat gun and they would turn black again. I was wondering if this last very long. Not sure if I am going to use Krylon Fusion or the bedliner. If this heat gun thing works That would be the fastest

·
Registered
46 Posts
I saw other videos were they used a torch, and i think it will last till they fade out again, since aplying heat will probably melt the faded coat with the rest of the black plastic.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,638 Posts
I have on both mine and friend's Jeeps and it works well. Just keep the heat gun moving, it will look like the heat gun is spraying out black paint instead of heat. It's not permanent since the material used fades with time but it will look good for probably close to a year or longer.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
It works good but I would just paint them lasts longer and looks better. The heat gun is hard to get even coverage you get darker spots in some areas and whatnot. I didn't have it like that long before I went and got some paint

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
I found that it doesn't work too well if it's cold outside. Mine ended up coming out blotchy so I painted them with Krylon Fusion. After a year, that chalked up so I re-sprayed with bedliner.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Painted mine with paint meant for plastic a year and 3 months ago and still look great!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I tried this but found it doesn't last very long and hard to heat evenly enough to prevent splotching. Painting or replacing best.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I tried it. My flares were a white-ish grey when I started and shiny black when I finished. The finish was a little splotchy and didn't last very long, so I ultimately ended up spraying them with Rustoleum spray-on bedliner. That seems to be holding up pretty well

1 - 10 of 10 Posts