Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a search, and did not see this topic covered anywhere yet.

Per title two questions on this topic.

1. Is it even possible to move the camera
2. Has anyone done this and is there anything you would recommend doing / not doing

My current problem is that the winch / front light bar are blocking around 75% of the camera's view. I think if i moved it up 2-3" (basically so it's butted up against the very top of the grill) that would solve my issue.

TIA for any inputs
D

·
Registered
260 Posts
Noticed no replies, thought I would chime in...
Anything is doable and moving the camera shouldn't be an issue. You will likely have to extend the harness it is connected to. You will then be left with a "hole" in your grill where the camera was. As a side note, my '21 Rubicon was likely one of the last off the line without the front camera. Good thing, as I have installed a BOLT lock exactly in the position the front camera is now located.
Grille Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior Gas

Reactions: d_rick

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Noticed no replies, thought I would chime in...
Anything is doable and moving the camera shouldn't be an issue. You will likely have to extend the harness it is connected to. You will then be left with a "hole" in your grill where the camera was. As a side note, my '21 Rubicon was likely one of the last off the line without the front camera. Good thing, as I have installed a BOLT lock exactly in the position the front camera is now located.
View attachment 4523714
Thanks TG,

I actually have something similar on my JKUR, so wouldn't mind doing the same on the JLURD. I wonder if modifying the harness will jack up the computer system?

·
Registered
260 Posts
I wonder if modifying the harness will jack up the computer system?
Absolutely not. You are simply extending the wiring. If done properly, you will have no issues. In a perfect world, you would find an extension harness that will simply plug into the existing harness at one end, then the other end plugged into the camera. This will likely be difficult to find. My advice would be to cut the harness at a point that gives you enough wiring at the camera end to work with, then simply insert the wire(s) needed, at the length you want, using proper connectors like "butt connectors". My guess is, you will have three wires, hot, ground to power camera and third for video.

Reactions: d_rick

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Absolutely not. You are simply extending the wiring. If done properly, you will have no issues. In a perfect world, you would find an extension harness that will simply plug into the existing harness at one end, then the other end plugged into the camera. This will likely be difficult to find. My advice would be to cut the harness at a point that gives you enough wiring at the camera end to work with, then simply insert the wire(s) needed, at the length you want, using proper connectors like "butt connectors". My guess is, you will have three wires, hot, ground to power camera and third for video.
i will add this to the shops list for the next phase (i trust their wiring skills and ingenuity a lot more than my own)... :)

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I’m looking at doing the same for the same reasons but it might not be as simple as suggested. I moved the rear camera and it uses an integrated cable. Power and video feed all in one. The LOD camera relocation kit came with a new longer cable. If the front camera uses the same type of integrated wire, and I assume it does, you will need to find an extension integrated cable.

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I’m looking at doing the same for the same reasons but it might not be as simple as suggested. I moved the rear camera and it uses an integrated cable. Power and video feed all in one. The LOD camera relocation kit came with a new longer cable. If the front camera uses the same type of integrated wire, and I assume it does, you will need to find an extension integrated cable.
good call Kraxler! I need to check and see in my spare parts box if they used this for the rear bumper - i think i may have that cable already.

edit - if i had it, they used it as it's not in my spare parts box... )(&()&^)(^

1 - 7 of 7 Posts