Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone considered this? Does it make suspension upgrades impractical?

My axle has rust which made me consider coating. I know I can touch up what rust is there. Does something like ziebart make sense? Is another brand better?

Thanks for the input.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
I chose not to undercoat as I have heard that the undercoating can develop cracks and trap moisture. I apply fluid film in the fall.

·
Registered
90 Posts
^This. I just had 3 cans of fluid film shipped to my door for $33.50 from Amazon. I did alotttt of research on this topic and it seems to be the best solution comparing all pros and cons.

·
Registered
162 Posts
IMO the best price/performance ratio product is just regular spray can rustoleum

Wire brush or sand blaster if youre really into it

I had a 2005 f150 that was nearly spotless in ohio sold it in uhh...2010 or 2011

I dont have any direct under carriage pics but the rustoleum did a great job protecting

Its only like 3-4$ for a big can

·
Registered
49 Posts
with the fluid film do you just go under the jeep and just spray it on everything you can see? Any downsides to using it? Very curious on this as I will be moving from Seattle to WI this summer and want to apply some type of undercoating for the wrangler and my f-150

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have never used fluid film and have nothing good or bad to say about it. It may be wonderful stuff. I can say this:

Get it undercoated. Not by the dealer or some high priced company...Trust me. Jeeps start rusting underneath the moment they leave the factory. It may just be surface rust but it looks awful on a vehicle you just paid 40k on. The day my 2014 arrived, I drove it straight home and at 8 am the following morning, I was in a local garage having it undercoated. It doesn't have to cost a fortune. They used spray cans of rubberized undercoating. It took 8 cans at about 10 dollars each and an hour of labor. They coated everything under the Jeep except the exhaust....EVERYTHING. As a result, my 2014 JKUR still looks brand new underneath....through all flat black. It survived its first winter of snow and salt and shows no sign of it. It is rust free. Longest and slickest winter in a decade in eastern Kentucky mountains and it looks brand new still...albeit flat black but it didn't rust and that is what counts.
Want to protect that new investment? Trust me....Undercoating!!!

·
Registered
386 Posts
first thing I did to my Jeep was to have it undercoated professionally. that was over 5 years ago, no cracking/no rust to speak of. my Jeep has been in 30 inches of water or more several times, I live in Florida. undercoating has been the best MOD so far. :)

·
Registered
289 Posts
I fluid filmed my 2013. Looks good so far. Made sure to get into nooks and crannies. Keep a can on hand to spray on in case.

·
Registered
102 Posts
^This. I just had 3 cans of fluid film shipped to my door for $33.50 from Amazon. I did alotttt of research on this topic and it seems to be the best solution comparing all pros and cons.
I also did lots of research on fluid film and think it's the best option. Only down side is you need to apply it 1 - 2 times a year. But it goes on pretty easy, and buy it by the gallon along with a sprayer and apply liberally.

·
Registered
130 Posts
When I bought mine I got it undercoated by the dealer as part of the deal for free and I live deep in the rust belt so I thought it would be a good idea. Why isn't it a good idea to get it undercoated by the dealer?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Why isn't it a good idea to get it undercoated by the dealer?
I only said that due to cost. Usually the dealer is going to charge a much higher labor rate per hour than a small time garage and the dealer's expertise about the vehicle isn't needed to spray undercoating on its bottom. I only meant that you could likely save some money and spend that on other mods.

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
IMO the best price/performance ratio product is just regular spray can rustoleum Wire brush or sand blaster if youre really into it I had a 2005 f150 that was nearly spotless in ohio sold it in uhh...2010 or 2011 I dont have any direct under carriage pics but the rustoleum did a great job protecting Its only like 3-4$ for a big can
2 three layers if rust scale on my front axle/knuckles I wires off. After sprayed a couple coats of rustolium. Also when around and quickly hit some rust areas on the rear axle and frame. Looks great IMO

(Only 1 coat this pic)

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts