Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I received my jeep 2 years ago, I have said the 730N GPS is junk. It doesn't seem to know anything I type in, If I turn left out of my neighborhood instead of right it tells me that area hasn't been verified, so it routes me the long way.

Anyway, I noticed there is a GPS update out there now for $150 and was wondering if anyone had bought this and if so is it worth it?

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Just got a letter about this as well. Curious as to how much this will add and if it is worth the $149.00. Also wonder if it will do multiple radios (I have two 730n's in the stable).

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
I was just notified. They want $149. I'm not doing it. If by some chance it's slightly off I'll use the phone. Not worth the $149 for me.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
Ever since I received my jeep 2 years ago, I have said the 730N GPS is junk. It doesn't seem to know anything I type in, If I turn left out of my neighborhood instead of right it tells me that area hasn't been verified, so it routes me the long way.
I have not had any problems like that, with my 730N. Though, I should mention that I have kept its firmware (not maps) up-to-date, as each update was released.

I also have kept Gracenotes up-to-date.

These updates are free.

While I would not pay $150 for a map update (that might not really be the latest maps), its better than the $500 Ford wanted.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have not had any problems like that, with my 730N. Though, I should mention that I have kept its firmware (not maps) up-to-date, as each update was released.

I also have kept Gracenotes up-to-date.

These updates are free.

While I would not pay $150 for a map update (that might not really be the latest maps), its better than the $500 Ford wanted.
What is this firmware update you speak of? I did see a update on the jeep website for a software update for the u connect. Is that the same thing?

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
What is this firmware update you speak of? I did see a update on the jeep website for a software update for the u connect. Is that the same thing?
You might want to check out the main 730N thread here.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the info. I was in CO for a couple of weeks riding (Ouray). Pretty awesome! I'll take a look at the 730N thread.

What is gracenotes?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Thanks for all the info. I was in CO for a couple of weeks riding (Ouray). Pretty awesome! I'll take a look at the 730N thread.

What is gracenotes?
To save you time the latest firmware update is 2.7 (uconnect). You can also get a 2017 map update (my map was last updated 2016). Costs $149 to get both. You order the 2017 maps and it comes with a 2.7 update DVD.

Don't quote me but I think Gracenotes is for how music and albums are displayed on the 730n and 430n. I don't use it so don't update Gracenotes. I listen to Sirius not music from my iphone. Unless the 2.7 update added the latest Gracenotes?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Also note it took about 30 minutes to update to 2.7 (from 2.6) and another 75 minutes to update to the 2017 map. This is explained in the directions that comes with the DVDs. Time will vary.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
I updated from 2.6 to 2.7 on the way home from work today (around 15-20 minutes). I haven't noticed any difference.

·
Premium Member
1,886 Posts
The map update was well worth it to me on my 2014. I70 through St. Louis was non existent before as well as Owensboro Ky. and other places I go. With the update I now have much noticeably better coverage all around. BTW until quite recently my Iphone had these same faults in the same places. As much as I travel I will jump on the next update as soon as it comes out.

·
Registered
673 Posts
The map update and firm update are different.I believe?I think I need both?

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
The map update and firm update are different.I believe?I think I need both?
Map updates you pay for. Firm(ware) updates are free.

It seems the current map updates includes an additional firmware update disk too. Not sure, though, that the firmware update is required for the map update.

·
Premium Member
1,886 Posts
Map updates you pay for. Firm(ware) updates are free.

It seems the current map updates includes an additional firmware update disk too. Not sure, though, that the firmware update is required for the map update.
This is correct. There is a second disc that comes with the map updates that contains the firmware updates. Firmware must be updated to current before the map updates can be run.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
Firmware must be updated to current before the map updates can be run.
Unfortunately, the only reason that comes to my mind, for this, is that the software change in 2.7 is only in the map protection/lock code, who's purpose is to better prevent "black market" maps from being installed. :(

·
Premium Member
1,886 Posts
Unfortunately, the only reason that comes to my mind, for this, is that the software change in 2.7 is only in the map protection/lock code, who's purpose is to better prevent "black market" maps from being installed. :(

I would bet this is also correct but as the old saying goes "If you're gonna play you have to pay."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I spent all day yesterday trying to update the firmware. I finally called jeep and they decided something isn't right with the unit and told me to take it to Jeep and have it looked at.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The question is why is it free to update my 200.00 garmin nuvi and I have to pay for updates in my 40,000 dollar jeep

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
The question is why is it free to update my 200.00 garmin nuvi and I have to pay for updates in my 40,000 dollar jeep
Unfortunately, that's the profit model used by most vehicle manufacturers for map updates. Ford, at least use to, charge a few times more than that, for maps that came on collection of CD's (drive across a state boundary, and you'll have to change the CD :rolleyes: ).

BTW, the 730N uses Harman navigation (TomTom like), not Garmin.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts