·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I have those.
I heard they vibrate but the price was low.
I really tightened every bolt to reduce vibration but, that also made them unadjustable. Not a problem for me as I'm the only driver.

I don't use them with the top/doors, so now they are hanging in the garage till next Spring. I plan on 4 or 5 months doorless and otherwise use the OEM mirrors on the half doors.

If you want to use them with your top/doors, two things to consider...

1) You'll have to trim the plastic window piece that goes on the windshield for top/door use (not shown in you pic).

2) Visibilty will be limited due to door uppers, in fact I'd guess the passenger mirror would be useless with a door. I could barely make it useable with no door on the passengerside.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Piece of cake (If you don't have a top on). :)
Otherwise, the plastic piece on the side of the windshield needs to come off and be trimmed. I don't know how it could be trimmed 'in place'.

As for attaching that mirror...
Windshield hinges have a nut AND bolt on lower half.
Windshield hinges have a bolt ONLY on upper half.

A mirror that attaches to upper half (like these) is just a matter of backing out the bolt.
A lower hinge mirror bracket would require getting to the nut on the backside and I stirred clear that type.

·
Registered
483 Posts
mirrors are over rated

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I agree. when my doors come off, my mirrors do as well. That being said, the cops in my area don't enforce the side mirror law.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have these mirrors as well, especially because of the price. I put a lightbar on as well, since they use the same bolt holes.

My biggest issue with these is:
1) There is no way, with my soft uppers on, that I can see the passenger side mirror.
2)These are not the most stabe, as in they move in the wind while driving, and need tightened regularly (or glue it).

I like them for price, and my driver side is nice, but the angles on each side is differant.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
For those of you who have these mirrors and aren't 100% happy with them, I found a way to modify the stock mirrors using these mirrors windshield brackets. I had the same problem with them as you've all mentioned, they move in the wind easily, they don't have a great view, they're view is blocked by the tops etc.

Ill try to describe this as best as possible, bc I don't have pix of the process when I did this. The stock mirror base is made of aluminum. Inside the stock base there is a hexagonal shaped steel piece that the mirror tightens up against. Get this piece out, and you can reuse the hardware from the stock set up, and the new mirrors you bought.

The stock mirror stem goes through the first new mirror bracket, it sits in top of the steel piece that you extracted from the stock mirror base, then the stock mirror spring gets sandwiched between the top and bottom brackets. Then the stock mirror nut tightens down against the brackets, holding the mirror in place of the angle you chose.

If anyone takes interest in this, maybe ill make a full write up with step by step instructions. I was tired of suffering with those crappy aftermarkets, but now all those problems are solved. You can swivel them in bc of the new brackets, -and- swivel them up and down just the the stock ones do.

Auto part Bumper Vehicle Suspension Automotive tire

Vehicle Transport Car Mode of transport Windshield

Vehicle Transport Tractor Tire Automotive exterior

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I had one of those mirrors on the Jeep at one point.. Vibrated like hell, have since gone back to factory style.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Defcon 1, what seats do you have? Better pic please. ;)

·
Registered
483 Posts
in texas all u have to have is the rear view

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just installed the op mirrors today. They do vibrate but its not so bad. It takes a good while of adjusting the passenger side to see the mirror and with upper windows on you better hope they are clean! Took like out to try, hit the sunlight and I couldn't see my mirrors at all!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts