Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the REAL weight of a TJ?

would love to know the true numbers for a softtop and a hardtop if anyone can help... :rolleyes:

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
Ah hell, I weighed mine on a truck scale once with 35's on it and I want to remember it was in the 4200 - 4350 range or somewhere close to that.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
It's those round headlights. Screws the weight up every time. Not to mention the 20 degree seaty wedges. LOL:confused:

·
Registered
359 Posts
4850 here or there bouts. But was weighed droppin some stuff off at the incinerator and that was my departing weight.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Back from the dead. (Glad I searched)

I just picked up a 1997 TJ. I had read widely differing reports of what they weigh. Some sites say just over 3,000 lbs, so that was my hope.

The one I have has a 9,000 lb Superwinch, spare tire, 31s, and hard top, so I figured it might be a little more...

I weighed it w a full tank and me in it: 4060 lbs.

So that is well over 3800 w/out me.

I'm thinking of deleting the spare and holder, and maybe even the winch. Then w the doors and top off it will be much lighter.

Anyway, I was a little suprised. Is this in line with what you guys are seeing (those of you who weighed your TJs personally)?

·
Registered
908 Posts
I remember my tj weighed around 3340 with me in it and it has 33's full doors and a hardtop

·
Knows a couple things...
49,069 Posts
I remember my tj weighed around 3340 with me in it and it has 33's full doors and a hardtop
I doubt it was that light, most are at least in the high-threes. My '97 4.0L Sport was 4200 lbs on the truck scale years ago without some of the armor & other gear it had towards the end. Its tank was about 1/3 full, soft top, half-doors, 33" tires at the time, and just me in it.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I doubt it was that light, most are at least in the high-threes. My '97 4.0L Sport was 4200 lbs on the truck scale years ago without some of the armor & other gear it had towards the end. Its tank was about 1/3 full, soft top, half-doors, 33" tires at the time, and just me in it.
It's possible that the hardtop wasnt on at the time, not sure though. It was at a metal scrap yard and i had the backseat out and had a bunch of junk in there and it weighed around 3700lbs. Then when i dumped it all out and went back to the scale it was like 3340lbs. I only weigh 170lbs.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
The hardtop really doesn't weigh all that much, maybe 80 lbs at most I would think. What scales are you guys using? I'm looking at the local truck stop by me, but think it'd be ridiculous to drive up in a Wrangler and having to stand on my Jeep to reach the intercom.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I don't know, I've heard of people using them when they're closed, but I really have no clue how to work them and don't want to be that guy!

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
I don't know, I've heard of people using them when they're closed, but I really have no clue how to work them and don't want to be that guy!
many weigh stations you wont be able to activate. some have different plates that are only activated when weight is applied to all of them. a truck would be long enough but not your jeep by a long shot. not all of them though. i would go to a dump or a rock quarry.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Phone book - "weigh station." Most will tell you what it weighs for free unless you want a certificate.

County dumps too.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts